Chapter 104

Diane tossed a small piece of bark into the fire as everyone relaxed. Jeff looked half-asleep on his stump. He had once more tried to keep up with the joggers as we did laps just before sundown. Julian looked a bit tired, but he was adapting to the extra exercise with much more grace than his two friends.

My eyes were glowing just as strongly as Diane's were. I noticed that the other 38 people who had been fired had the faintest shimmer that foretold of the glow to come. Todd's eyes were a much brighter shimmer, nearly a glow, but not quite. It was an odd sight and would have likely made any visitors nervous.

Roland stood up and walked to the middle of the fire, "Could I get your attention please?"

The various conversations died down as we all turned to watch Roland. It wasn't unusual for him to address us all at this time of night. He often told us where we were going and what kind of trades he was looking for. It was his way of keeping everyone informed and up to date.

68 people were watching him patiently. Roland looked around to ensure he had everyone's attention, "I am sure that all of you know that we have two ladies here who are expecting a new addition to our family. Congratulations to them."

I clapped along with everyone else. I knew that Kerry and Diane were somewhat worried about the one lady. She had been fired before she realized she was expecting. We had no idea how the Heartfire virus would react to the baby. They were also worried about the burning that came from lack of exercise since a newborn baby couldn't exactly do much. Nonetheless, everyone was excited for her.

Roland waited for the applause to die down, "Some of us are not young anymore and some others have mentioned that they would like a more stationary lifestyle. Some of these people have already been fired. We know very well that we have not yet heard of a settlement willing to accept someone carrying the Heartfire virus." He paused while many of us nodded.

Roland took a deep breath, "Since there is no settlement that will accept those with Heartfire we are going to build one."

I sat up straighter in shock. We were going to build a town? Was that even possible? I suppose it had to be since every town had been built at some point. It had never occurred to me in that fashion before. Roland had my complete attention at this point. Others were also surprised, shocked, or excited and a few whispered to those beside them.

Roland continued, "We are going to build a small town to act as our base and as a place to store trade items until they can fetch a good price. It will also be a place for those to live if they tire of traveling or simply want a break. The rules will remain the same and any who come will be welcome until they break the rules."

He looked around to examine people's expressions. They ranged from shock to excitement and anticipation. "We have considered many locations, but in the end decided that a slightly more remote location is the most desirable. Better hunting and gathering as well as few encounters with locals who might be spooked by those with Heartfire. With our solar and steam vehicles distance isn't much of an issue so being a bit further off of the beaten path will not inconvenience us much, but it will make it harder for thieves or bandits to stumble across us."

He paused for breath while more people were starting to look excited. I know I was certainly getting excited. It was kind of interesting to see that many eyes were glittering a bit more brightly as people got more excited. Barely noticeable, but I could see it. Then again, my own eyes were probably glowing noticeably brighter in my own excitement at the coming building project.

I glanced up at Diane to see that hers were glowing much more brightly than before. Roland's plans were stirring up some deep emotions for Diane. I could understand that. We had been turned away by dozens of settlements and now we were going to create a place where glowing blue eyes were welcomed.