Chapter 112

I looked up to see two familiar faces entering the mess hall doors. It didn't take them long to spot Diane and me and come over. Diane stood up to give Trish and Nathan a hug. Trish held a bundle in her arms as Diane greeted her, "It is so good to see you! And who is this little one?"

Trish went a bit red, but smiled proudly, "It is good to see you too. This is Catherine, but we call her Cathy for short. She was just born last month."

They finally had the baby talk! It would be quite a few years before the Cathy would be able to play with me though. I got up and came forward. Trish bent down with a grin as I got my first look at her daughter. Tiny dark brown eyes looked somewhat vacantly back at me.

Diane grinned at us, "She sure is cute. Congratulations!"

Trish smiled back and took a seat next to where Diane had been sitting. We had been on the end so they just slid another bench over. Two of the caravan guards eyed them up, possibly recalling what had happened such a short time ago. Diane noticed and gently waved off the two overprotective watch dogs.

To my surprise, they relaxed somewhat and went back to their food. I knew that they were still watching though. No movement that Trish or Nathan made would be missed by their sharp blue eyes and keen senses.

Diane inquired about quite a few people here as Trish and Nathan caught her up on the latest gossip. Diane nibbled on a bun as she spoke very quietly to Nathan, "So where are they going to dump that guy anyways? Nice swing by the way."

Nathan jumped a bit like a naughty boy caught when he thought he got away with something without anyone noticing. His face clearly mirrored his shock. He also didn't know how to answer Diane's question without potentially admitting that he was the guilty one.

Ben was sitting across from us and chuckled at his reaction, "In case you forgot, not much happens that she doesn't see. Anyone with blue eyes here saw you plain as day, although no one else was able to even see you in the shadows."

Nathan blinked in surprise and glanced down the table suddenly realizing that most present had the same blue eyes that Diane did. Most were also smirking or grinning in his direction. Heartfire hearing made it very hard to have a private conversation.

I could see the gears in his head working overtime. Diane's blue eyes had once been unique. For an entire group to have the same impossibly blue eyes was leading his mind for a tour of the nearly impossible implications.

Trish was giving Nathan a long suspicious look, "I have no idea what they are talking about, but you and me are having words later."

Quite a few chuckled at Nathan's distressed look. Diane suddenly stood up with her eyes on something else. I looked up to see Ace approaching with a grin. Ace greeted Diane with a handshake and a big grin, "Nice to see you back. It sure is boring here without you around. The food in winter also takes a big hit."

Diane chuckled and gently cuffed him on the shoulder, "Nice to see you too. Since when do you think with your stomach? I thought that was Trish's tactic."

Diane shifted to avoid Trish's half-aimed swat as she juggled her daughter. Ace chuckled and shook his head before sliding gracefully onto the bench beside Nathan to peer around the married couple, "So how long is your group staying?"

Diane shrugged, "Depends how fast we can trade for what we need. We will likely head out the morning after tomorrow. That gives us almost two days to trade and load stuff."

He nodded, "If you get bored, feel free to join us in the smaller practice sessions. They are still being held at the same location." He was referring to our usual low-key training room where people almost never went.