Chapter 150

Ace leaned against the railing and watched us head into the women's washroom. We rounded the corner and Amber looked up from where she was washing her hands and grinned at Diane, "Is he still stalking you?"

Diane chuckled and rubbed the back of her neck, "It is a good thing that I was used to his almost constant presence from before, because without that familiarity, his increased protectiveness would have driven me crazy by now."

Amber shrugged, "It is fading, and Kerry is pretty sure he will completely relax once that mark on your arm completely disappears. Another day tops."

Diane leaned against the wall, "I am kind of surprised that he is so paranoid."

Amber sighed, "I doubt he will ever admit it, but I did speak with Kerry about this, and she thinks whatever he saw before he went out of control hit him really hard. He may have not realized just how much he cares for you, and now that he is aware, it is affecting his behavior somewhat. Especially since both of you know that you like one another."

Diane considered it, "It is possible. It never occurred to me either until then."

Amber chuckled, "I can't think of a more dramatic way to finally admit that you love one another. Leave it to you two to manage it in the middle of a battlefield. I will see you later, I am going to find Todd."

Diane nodded, "See you later."

We used the washroom and washed our hands before going out. Ace was still waiting. He barely let Diane out of his sight anymore. We headed down for lunch. Other than Ace being more protective, nothing had really changed. They still treated one another pretty much the same.

The lunchroom was almost empty. Most people were cleaning up the battlefield, but no one would let a child out there, so both Ace and Diane helped with other chores. No one had the heart to ask them to go out and work while leaving me inside Sanctuary again.

Our people that had helped Wainwright to mount the rescue mission had returned early this morning. Those who were fired were restless from their long idle drive and were more than ready to work. There really wasn't room for several hundred people to dig a big hole and drag bodies around.

Ace sat close enough to Diane that their arms almost brushed as they ate. By now, everyone knew that Ace and Diane were basically boyfriend and girlfriend. They were amused and excited, although they also realized Ace was a bit touchy at the moment and they didn't crowd them.

Even if he was being overprotective, it was still better than Ace running away or avoiding us. He was more open as well. When no one else was around, he was more relaxed than I usually saw him, as if he was happier. It was quite promising in my mind.

I brushed out my wet hair as I left the shower. It was no surprise to see Ace waiting. His hair was damp from his own shower. I walked over to him as I worked a knot out of my hair, "Diane will be a bit longer. There was a lineup and she got in a shower after me."

Ace nodded as his eyes strayed to the doorway. It had been over two weeks and Ace was mostly back to his usual self since the faintest trace of the wound had completely disappeared from Diane's arm. I glanced around, but no one else was around.

I tilted my head and quietly inquired, "I don't understand. Why didn't you run when Diane told you that she liked you? I am very glad you didn't though. She is happier now than she was before."

Ace glanced at me in surprise. I had never spoken of such things around him before. Ace considered it for a moment, "When Diane originally left Wainwright Fort, would you have remained behind?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at the odd change in topic, but replied, "No, I would have followed her regardless of where she went."

Ace took a deep breath, "Well, I remained behind and I regretted it ever since." He looked into the distance across the meadow with a solemn expression, "I am not taking any chances, just in case she disappears again."

I nodded slowly. I knew that feeling. Life could change so fast sometimes, and when we had been on the road, I had practically been Diane's shadow. At Wainwright Fort, I had been terrified at times that my guardian angel would just vanish into thin air and I would never see her again.

I looked over and saw Diane coming out as she brushed out her own hair. I grinned and skipped over to her, "Can we go to the playground?"

She smiled, "Sure."

I squealed in delight and ran ahead to slip down the slide into the jungle gym. Diane and Ace followed at a more sedate pace. To my delight, most of the children were on the equipment. I quickly joined the game. Diane and Ace sat on a nearby bench to watch and relax.

I clambered around the equipment with enthusiasm. It was always fun with so many kids. Some were fired and they were also fast. I heard a guitar and paused to look around. Dave's group was bringing out their musical instruments as Joel and Nick set up the speakers.

It was another dance night. We had them a couple times a week. Sometimes people just listened to the music and sometimes people danced across the meadow. One of the mothers had taught us a children's round dance and I was eager to practice it again to music.

I didn't have to wait long for the music to start. The other children were also willing to dance. We skipped around in a circle as we laughed. Some left with yawns. The sun was starting to set and it was time for their bed. That left just three of us who were fired. We had to burn off a lot of energy to even attempt to sleep.

The two fired siblings ran over to their parents to get a drink. I paused and looked at the bench, but it was empty. When had they left? I looked around as I tried to spot Diane or Ace.

I did a double take as I finally spotted them. Was I seeing things? I rubbed my eyes, but the mirage remained. Ace was dancing. With Diane. A smile slowly grew on my face at the sight of them.

Three years ago the zombies had appeared. Three weeks ago 900 bandits showed up at our gates, only to be beaten by 37 out-of-control fired fighters. I had once been told that when the impossible happens that the world would end. For the first time in my life, I was convinced that the world had ended.

I climbed to the top of the playground equipment for a better view of this unprecedented event. They slowly danced on the soft green grass. Other people were also doing double takes as they caught sight of them dancing. At least it wasn't just me that had that reaction. Despite their keen Heartfire senses, Ace and Diane seemed oblivious to those watching them. They just kept dancing while looking into one another's eyes. They danced until well after midnight.

I was happy for them. If there were ever two who were suited for one another, it was them. It had just taken a zombie apocalypse and a few near death experiences for them to realize it.