Chapter 96

I passed Todd my small hand mirror. He blinked, "Wow... I can see it, but I am still having a hard time believing it."

I snickered as I spun a bit in high energy. Quite a few others were trying not to laugh.

He tilted his head, "Although I must say that my eyes are rather striking. The ladies will be flocking after me now. Too bad it isn't going to do them any good. I am far too handsome for any of them at this point."

Roland rolled his eyes, "Handsome is not the word that comes to mind with your hair like that. I can't even see your skin under all of that mud."

Todd's jaw dropped, "Hey! Just because you are jealous, that doesn't mean you get to make fun of my makeover. I will have you know that I am going to have the softest skin in the country after all this work."

Diane entered the gate and stopped dead in her tracks as she caught sight of Todd. She narrowed her eyes before she slowly walked closer, "Do I even want to know?"

I shook my head, "Nope."

Diane shook her head while sitting down on a stump and regarding Todd. She looked over at me, knowing who was truly the one responsible for his rather startling appearance, "I think you should have stuck a few more ferns amongst the moss and strawberry leaves."

I critically examined my handiwork, "I think you are right. I think a few more braided grasses holding it in place might help too. I will keep that in mind for next time."

Todd's bright blue eyes went wide, "Next time? How often does someone need a makeover? This is the first one I have ever had, and I have been just fine up until now."

I grinned at him, "That depends on how many more places are going to ask us to keep going."

We had been turned down by the four places we had stopped at. Todd shook his head, which dislodged some of the plants I had woven into it. He had made the mistake of asking me what was so great about makeup and makeovers. I told him that I had never used makeup before, but that my mother had used mud to make her skin soft.

One thing led to another and now he had a nice mudpack on his entire face. The amount of plants and moss in his hair made him look like he was wearing a rather bizarre hat. The plants were all fragrant ones that would add a nice shine to his hair.

Todd sighed, "Okay, what is the easiest way to get all of this stuff off?"

I grinned and pointed at the lake that we were camped beside. His face dropped, "Please tell me you are joking. That water is freezing. It is much too early to be swimming in it."

Diane used her foot to push a large pot towards him, "I advise heating the water a bit and just dunking your head in it."

Todd sighed as he grabbed the pot and went to go fill it with rather cold water. I giggled at his face, he really was all set for Halloween dressed as the Monster from the Marsh. Todd pulled a clump of moss out of his hair before throwing it at me.

I dodged the muddy thing with a squeal of surprise as the heat rose to help. Whew. Saved by the Heartfire reflexes. Diane smirked at Todd's shocked expression. He hadn't realized just how fast I could move if I used the heat.

Diane chuckled, "Todd, you might want to close your mouth and go soak your head before a bug flies in."

He shook his head and continued towards the lake.

I carried a box of knife sharpeners over to a trading table. The man behind it had asked me to grab them while he traded with the locals. He thanked me and I stepped back to see if anyone else needed anything brought to them.