Chapter 4

Ch. 4

_________

*Austin's POV*

"What? How do you know?"

She told me the whole story from when she went to the police station.

It was crazy. I didn't want to believe anything she was saying, but the look on her face told me she was telling the truth. Mostly, though, she just looked scared.

"So, like, what are we supposed to do?" I asked.

She looked back at me like she was hoping that I would've known the answer to that question.

"I-I don't know," she let out a sigh.

She looked like she was about to cry. I guess I never really realized how hard this must be on her.

She walked over to my bed, sat down, and buried her face in her hands. I sat down next to her and held her while she cried.

My mom walked by my open door and peeked in, "What's wrong Sophie?"

I answered for her, "She's upset about what happened at the police station."

Mom looked a little confused at that, "Oh? I thought everything went alright?"

"She jus--"

"No, I'm fine. It's just hard, you know, talking about my parents and stuff," she cut me off.

My mom nodded, "Oh I'm sure you'll feel better soon honey." She walked out of the room, leaving me and Sophie alone again.

"Why didn't you tell her the truth?" Now I was the one whispering.

"I-I don't know."

"What? You don't trust her?" I was a little offended.

"No," She said, barely audible.

"Why not?" My voice growing in intensity, but still a whisper.

She came back with the same tone, "I just don't, ok! With all this crap going on, I don't know who I can trust!"

"Ok, ok. Sorry," I tried to diffuse the situation before it got out of hand. "I'm sorry. Why don't you just go try to get some rest."

She let out a huff and headed towards my door and mumbled, "Yeah maybe I'll dream up a solution to this mess."

I ran a hand through my hair. This whole thing was getting really crazy. I needed to take my mind off of things. I sat down in front of my computer and logged on to Twitter. I smiled when I saw my fans trying to trend the hashtag "#VerifyAustinMontgomery"

Wow. That's really cool. I can't believe all the support I'm getting, it's just crazy.

I sent out a tweet to thank them:

"Thanks guys! U guys r amazing!! #VerifyAustinMontgomery @twitter @verified :)"

Immediately the retweets and mentions came rolling in. I couldn't help but smile. I followed and retweeted some of them and watched their accounts for their reactions. I probably looked like an idiot smiling at my computer like that. But I couldn't help it.

I saw that I had a new direct message, so I clicked on it. It was from some lady named "Michele M."

"Austin, I've been looking for you. I really would like to speak with you. If you don't want to that's fine, but just know that it's really important."

A later message read "By the way, I'm really proud of you. :)"

Weird. Like it was nice and all, but creepy.

She's been looking for me? What does that even mean? I don't know. But I know I'm probably not going to be telling anybody about it.

* * *

*Sophie's POV*

I looked at the clock. 5:30. Ugh. I only managed to sleep for an hour.

I pulled myself up and tried to rub the grogginess off my face. It didn't work.

All the thoughts of this madness going on around me came flooding back. My life had fallen to pieces in a matter of weeks. I wish I could just go back in time. But I can't.

So I got up, changed into a pair of black sweatpants and a red t-shirt. I went across the hall to the bathroom, washed my face, trying to wake myself up. Quickly, I threw my brown, wavy hair into a messy bun and started down the stairs.

It was like 5:30 so I was hoping that there was food being cooked. But when I stepped out of the hallway, I was disappointed to see an empty kitchen.

I sighed and went to the fridge to get out some sandwich stuff, but I stopped when I heard harsh whispers coming from Austin's parents room. I couldn't make out what they were saying, so I got closer. I positioned myself right outside their door and listened.

"This whole thing is getting out of hand." That was Mr. Montgomery's voice.

Mrs. Montgomery responded,"I know. It wasn't supposed to go this far, but I guess, we're in too deep now..."

"There's no going back."

"Ryan is taking this too far."

"At this rate, all of our secrets will be out soon."

"Austin can't find out about Michele."

"I know."

I shifted my weight, and the floor made an awful creaking noise.

The voices stopped.

I was freaking out. I didn't have anywhere to go. As fast as I could, I hid behind the closest wall I could find.

I heard footsteps coming toward the bedroom door. They stopped. A couple seconds later, the door quietly clicked shut.

I let out a huge breath of air that I had been holding in.

That was way too close.

I couldn't think straight. There were so many questions flying around in my head.

Who's Ryan?

Who's Michele?

What secrets?

I don't know but I had to get out of there. I went up to my room, got some shoes and put on a zip-up hoodie.

I was going for a walk.

When I got outside, I just started walking. I didn't know where I was going, but I kept walking anyway.

I ended up at the park. I picked a tree and sat down, leaning my back against it. I took in the peace and quiet, and I let my mind float. It was so nice and peaceful, and nothing like my life at the moment.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed. It was Austin.

"Hey why are you at the park?"

"How do you know I'm at the park?

"The app, remember?"

"Oh yeah, well I just needed some fresh air."

"You should've told me you were leaving. I saw your room was empty, and I was worried."

"Oh well, I'm fine, Austin, I'll be back s--" I stopped talking when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Sophie? Are you there?"

I didn't respond.

"Sophie?!"

Suddenly a bag was thrown over my head and I was lifted off the ground. I held on to my phone tightly as I was thrown on to a hard surface.

A car engine roared and we began moving. The bag over my head lifted only to have another cloth lowered over my face. There wasn't any time for my eyes to focus before everything faded to black.

_________

A/N:

Thanks for reading!

Comment your thoughts so far.. I wanna know what you guys think!

Tweet me: @YeeAMeezy74

and V O T E please! <33