Chapter 16

Chapter 16

___________________

*Austin's POV*

The door clicked shut behind me but I didn't hear it. I was too focused on taking in every detail of what was in front of me: my mother. This was the first time I'd seen her since I was a baby. There were so many things that wanted to come out of my mouth but they couldn't seem to make the journey out. I stood in front of her bed as we stared at each other with amazement. The smile on her face was so wide, she knows me. She already loves me.

Before I could stop it, a tear escaped and ran down my cheek. But the smile that spread across my face showed that I wasn't sad, but quite the opposite. This was the best moment of my life and no one had even said anything yet.

"Come, sit," her small voice insisted.

I broke my gaze with her and found a chair and pulled it next to her bed.

"How are you?" she asked with a smile on her face.

I didn't know how to respond. I felt like I was the one that should've been asking her that question. "I'm good," I finally spoke.

She lifted her hand slowly, struggling and took my hand in hers. Her fingers were cold and stiff, but soon my warmth spread to her. She smiled again. "How are you feeling?" I asked gently.

Her smile faded and she let her head fall back onto the propped up pillow. "I'm ok. I don't want to burden you with all the details."

"Please, it's ok. I want to hear it," I insisted.

"No really. I'm sure yo--"

"Mom, I've waited my whole life to meet you."

"I know," her voice shook. I had called her 'mom' without even hesitating. "It's just, I don't want my sickness to be the first significant thing you hear about me."

I looked down at our hands and let out a breath. There was one other question nagging at me. "Ok, so tell me, how did I end up all the way in Texas?"

She let out a deep breath. "Did Dave tell you anything?"

"No, he said you'd tell me when you're ready."

She let out a low laugh. "That's good ol' Dave for you," she smiled. "Well I think almost 16 years is long enough."

I nodded and waited for her story.

"When I found out I was pregnant with you, I wasn't sure what to think. Your father and I had already had an alcohol and drug problem, but when our families heard that I was pregnant, they made us promise that we would keep you safe, that we wouldn't do anything stupid to hurt you. So, with everyones help, we sobered up. I was sober through my whole pregnancy, but your dad, he wasn't. Three months before you were born, he.. he was drunk and he," she wiped away tears. I held her hand firmly. "he crashed. It was instant, they said he didn't feel any pain."

My eyes were welling up. I wiped my eyes with my shoulder and directed my gaze back at her, wanting to hear the rest of her story.

She sniffled, pushing through. "Then you were born and I guess I just felt free. Like I could do whatever I wanted and not have to worry about hurting you. But I was wrong. I loved you, Austin, please know that. I still do. I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

I'm sure my face reflected my confusion. What did she do? But all I said was, "I know. So what happened?"

She shook her head. "You're going to hate me."

Now it was my turn to shake my head. "I could never hate you. Your my mom. Please just tell me."

She squeezed her eyes. "I-I wanted to go to the bar one night. I was already pretty tipsy by the time I left the house. I was so stupid, I-I took you with me. I'm so sorry, I was so stupid. I got so drunk, I couldn't stop, and no one stopped me. I didn't even know what was going on. I don't remember most of it. I passed out on the floor and when I woke up, y-you were gone! Austin you were gone! Someone stole you from me! I'm so sorry it's all my fault!" She sobbed loudly.

I couldn't move. I didn't know how to feel. A part of me wanted to feel bad for her, but a lot of me wanted to be angry with her. How could she be so irresponsible?

But I didn't have a chance to say anything. A nurse came bustling into the room, and seeing her crying, shooed me from the room.

Numbly I walked from the room and fell into a chair in the hallway. I couldn't believe this. I couldn't process what was happening. I was just gone? Someone just took me? Before I could stop them, the tears escaped and ran down my face. I buried my face in my hands as I couldn't hold back the sobs any longer. My whole body was shaking with sobs.

"Austin, oh my gosh, are you ok?" Sophie asked as she came running over to me.

I sniffed trying to stop the sobs. I wiped my tears away with th sleeve of my shirt and lifted my head up.

"Austin what happened?" She asked, concerned.

With my red puffy eyes I looked at her. "Sophie, I w-was.." I couldn't bring myself to say it.

"What? You were what?" She asked softly.

My voice was strained. "Kidnapped. I was taken away from my mom. Because she got drunk and passed out."

She gasped slightly. "Austin, oh my god. I'm so sorry."

I buried my face in my hands again and let out a sigh of frustration. This is definitely not what I pictured meeting my mom for the first time would be like.

Dave came strolling around the corner and, seeing me, hurried over. Instead of worried, he seemed sympathetic. "Did she tell you?"

I couldn't look at him. "Yeah," I forced out. "Can we leave now?" I asked suddenly. I don't think I could stand being there for any longer.

Dave dropped his gaze and said in a slightly disappointed voice, "Yeah, sure."

Sophie and I got up and followed him down the hallway. I was still shaking with anger and emotion. The walk to the car was a blur, as was the drive. I finally snapped out of it when I felt the car slow down.

"Where are we?" I asked, looking around.

"The Best Western. Sorry, I don't have anywhere else for you to go," Dave said apologetically.

I sighed heavily. I thought we were done with staying in hotels. I pulled myself out of the car and forced my shaky legs to hold me up. I looked over the car and saw Sophie. She didn't look much better than I did.

Dave began walking up to the front door but I stopped him. "It's fine. I got it," I said, frustrated. "You can go now."

Sophie and I walked inside and checked in. I tried to take her hand in mine, but she pulled away. I turned and gave her a look, but she didn't meet my eyes. There was definitely something wrong with her.

When we finally got to our room and the door clicked shut we both let out loud frustrated sighs.

Our eyes finally met and we let out a short laugh. But mine faded quickly. "Soph? What's wrong?"

Her smile fell. She sank down onto the bed and buried her face in her hands. Bringing her eyes back up to mine, she finally spoke, "I found out why my parents were killed."

My mouth fell open slightly. This day was supposed to be the best day ever, but it turned out to be the complete opposite. I sunk down next to her. "Why?" I asked hoarsely.

"Money," She said, disgusted.

"Are you kidding me? That's ridicu-"

*buzz* *buzz* *buz- "Hello?" Sophie answered her phone. "Yeah that's me."

Her face went white. "Um, yeah he's here, ok," she said shakily. "Ok, yeah we'll be there."

She hung up. "Who was that?" I asked.

She shook her head, in shock. "Th-The police. They want to question us about Ryan's murder."

____________________

A/N:

Hey guys! Thank you soo much for 2,000 reads!! That's so freaking amazing!! Thank you so much!

So I hope you liked this chapter. Tell me what you think!

And as always VOTE and COMMENT!! <33