Chapter 10

Chapter 10

________________

When my eyes fluttered open the next morning, my nostrils were filled with the tempting scent of freshly cooked bacon and eggs. I stretched my body, loosening all the tight muscles that were collected while I slept, and crawled out of bed. I went into my bathroom and smoothed down my hair and followed the scent that my nose was craving. As I stepped outside my room my eyes landed on a cart filled with everything my nose was smelling and more. There was bacon, eggs, pancakes, sausage and lots of fruit.

"I ordered room service," Austin said. My face must have asked that question for me.

"Oh," was all I said. I'm not a morning person.

"Grab a plate," Austin said with a smile.

I took a plate and filled it with bacon, eggs, and a pancake and sat down at the table with Austin. "So," I said. "What's the plan for today?"

"I don't really know," he answered. "I thought we could just hang out, have some fun, relax a little."

I was surprised, but I couldn't deny that sounded nice. "Okay," I said with a smile. I continued to empty my plate as Austin did the same. We sat in yet another comfortable silence. Those were very common with us, I don't really know why. We were just comfortable being around each other and things just weren't awkward between us at all. It was just like that from the beginning. It was nice.

"Do you want to go shopping or something?" Austin asked suddenly, like he had been looking for something to say and that just happened to pop out of his mouth.

"Uh, yeah sure," I answered. "But maybe we should shower first?"

"Why? You think I smell bad?" Austin took a whiff of his armpit and jumped back. "Whoa, yeah I need a shower, it's bad."

I laughed. "Hey you don't smell any better!" He shot back.

"At least I knew that and I didn't have to smell my armpit to find out!" I laughed again.

"Ha ha. Whatever," he said, but he laughed anyway. "I'm gonna go shower."

"Me too," I said as I got up to wash off my plate. I set it in the sink and headed off to my room.

I got in the shower and let the water run over my body, washing away the dirt and grime of the last few days. I used the soap and rubbed out the sore muscles in my body. I finished my shower, grabbed a towel and stepped out. I looked at myself in the mirror, I still looked worn out, but at least I was clean. That felt nice.

I grabbed a pair of jeans, a light orange v-neck t-shirt and my gray hoodie. I got dressed, slipped on my shoes and walked out to the kitchen where Austin was already waiting for me.

"Ready to go?" I asked.

"Been ready," he said, not hiding his boredom.

I ignored his comment and grabbed my phone off the charger. "Ok then, let's go."

He jumped up and followed me out the door. He made sure he had his room key and clicked the door shut behind us. We rode in the elevator to the lobby and admired its beauty as we left the air conditioning for the humid Louisiana air.

"Where do you want to go?" Austin asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know, let's just walk."

An couple hours later we had been to most of the shops in the French Quarter and had bought a few new pieces of clothing for both of us. Austin got a couple new snapbacks and I got some new shorts because it was getting hotter. We were getting farther and farther into summer, and it was hot outside.