Chapter 15

Chapter 15

______________

*Austin's POV*

It's like my ears were underwater, the people who we're walking by me were just blurs of color. The hospital was a sterile white, but it just felt so stained with pain.

My feet stumbled and I felt hands on my arm and back, steadying me. Like a slow motion movie, I saw Sophie look at Dave and he nodded and walked away. Sophie placed her warm hand on my back and led me over to a chair in the hallway. Slowly, I eased myself down and held onto the armrests.

I felt like my body wasn't even mine, like it was all a dream and I wasn't actually here right now. I wish I wasn't. But I know this is what I wanted all along, but not like this. I didn't think it was going to be like this.

Sophie held my arm and looked at me. I saw her mouth moving but I couldn't understand what she was saying. I closed my eyes and dug the palms if my hands into them.

"Austin! Can you hear me? Are you alright?" I felt warm fingers take hold of my hands and pull them away from my eyes. I let my hands fall into hers, and I let our eyes meet. "Talk to me Austin," she said softly.

"I'm not Sophie," I forced out. "I'm not ok."

"I know Austin. I know you're not. This is way too much to take in, I understand," she said earnestly.

"No you don't! You can't possibly understand!" I raised my voice defensively.

She looked at me in disbelief. "Are you kidding me, Austin? My parents were killed in a freak "accident", and I still don't know why! My mom doesn't have cancer, but I still understand your pain!"

My anger deflated. I can't believe I said that, I'm so stupid. "Oh my god Sophie, I'm so sorry. I don't know what got into me."

She let out a breath, "It's fine Austin, we're both under a lot of stress." She sat back and turned her body away from mine. She took my hand in hers and interlaced our fingers. "You know I'll always be here for you, right?"

I looked at my lap. "Of course."

"Then I need you to talk to me, ok? No more of this."

I took my other hand and ran it through my hair. "Thank you," I paused and turned to face her. "And you know I'll always be there for you right? If you ever want to talk about your parents, or anything. You didn't really get the time to deal with that properly."

She smiled to herself, but then it disappeared. "Yeah, I know."

We sat in silence for a minute then Sophie let out a deep breath and stood up. "Come on, let's go meet your mom," she said with a smile, reaching out for my hand.

I hesitated, looking at her hand. Am I ready for this? I didn't really know, but I needed to be. It wasn't all about me anymore. My mother needed to meet me too. "Ok."

*Sophie's POV*

He stood up and took my hand confidently. We walked down the hall together, my hand in his strong grip. We got to the end of the hallway where it split off in both directions. I looked left and saw Dave closing a door behind him.

"This way," I said as I gave Austin's hand a tug. Dave saw us and smiled. 

"Feeling better?" He asked Austin.

The color was back in Austin's face as he replied. "Yeah, thanks to some encouragement," he said as he smiled down at me.

Dave smiled. "So, you ready to see her?"