Chapter 19

*Sophie's POV*

The heat in my face had finally faded and the anger subsided. I just hope I talked some sense into him.

"Ms. Brooks?" I turned to see Detective Vasquez hovering over me. "I'm afraid it's time."

I couldn't believe this was happening. They're just going to cart me off to Texas and make me leave Austin behind when he needs me the most. I let out a heavy sigh and pulled myself out of my chair.

"Can I at least tell him goodbye?" I asked.

He gave a small smile, "Of course, we're not completely heartless."

I let out a small chuckle, but on the inside I'm pleading for them to let me stay.

We walked down the hallway back toward Austin, back toward the one person I feel like I can't live without right now. Finally I saw him. He was stepping out of the room, rubbing a bandage on his arm. Suddenly I felt a burst of happiness and relief. He did it. I picked up my pace as he lifted his head and met my eyes. A wide smile spread across his face as he opened his arms to me.

"You did it!" I exclaimed.

He pulled me into a tight embrace. "Yeah," he whispered in my ear.

"I'm so sorry for yelling at you."

"No it's fine, I needed it," he breathed. He pulled back and looked into my eyes. The smile was still firmly planted on his face as he pulled me into him. Our lips met for the first time in what felt like forever. It was only me and him. No one else.

He broke the kiss and rested his forehead on mine. "I love you," He breathed.

My heart pounded in my chest. "I love you, too," I whispered back. But my spirit fell quickly. I'm here to say goodbye. I'm leaving him and I'll probably never see him again. "Austin, I have to tell you something."

He stood back and looked into my eyes. "What? Are you ok?"

"No," I looked down at my feet. "Austin, they're making me go back to Texas. Like, now."

His face went slack. "What? But, but.."

"Yeah, I know. But there's nothing I can do, I'm so sorry," I pulled him in for another hug and he held me tight.

"Ms. Brooks, I'm sorry but if we're going to make the flight, we have to leave now," Detective Vasquez said.

I let my world go and followed the detective out of the hospital.

"This isn't over Sophie, " Austin called. "You can't get rid of me that easily."

He smiled, and I smiled back. This wouldn't be the last time I'd see him. He loves me, and he's not going to give up this easily.

*******

I sat with my face toward the window, watching the runway speed by and slowly fade away. I didn't move until I couldn't see the ground anymore and all that was in view was puffy, white clouds. But eventually curiosity got the better of me.

"Detective?" I turned and asked detective Vasquez who was sitting in the airplane seat next to me. "What's going to happen to me when we get there?"

He sighed. "The only thing for you right now is to put you in a group home. At least until we can find you a foster home or maybe adoptive parents."

I shuddered involuntarily. Not all adoptive parents are like Austin's. Obviously.

"Oh. Okay," was all I could manage to get out.