Chapter 17

Chapter 17

____________

*Sophie's POV*

"So what are we going to tell them?" Austin asked. "We can't tell them about Dave."

I opened my mouth and gave him a pleading look. "What if we don't have a choice?" I said desperately.

A look of realization came over Austin's face and he jumped up and began pacing.

"What is it Austin?" I asked, concern clear in my voice.

He stopped pacing and looked down at me. I couldn't figure out the look on his face but it was something in between scared and disgusted. "Sophie," he said almost in a whisper. "What if they make me go back to her?"

For a fleeting moment, I feared the same, but I pushed that thought away. I pulled up my most confident voice, "That's not going to happen."

"How do you know?" Fear present in his voice.

"Because we're going to tell them about her, about what she did to me, to us," I said angrily. "We're going to tell them the whole story. We have to."

Austin's face hardened, but slowly he began to nod. "Ok." he said as he sunk back down on the bed next to me.

His voice sounded strained, but I felt like a massive weight was about to come off my shoulders.

***********

The next morning Austin and I walked hand in hand into the police station in Miami prepared to tell all. The night before we agreed on a plan that would get our foster mom arrested but spare Dave if we were lucky. Hopefully today turns out better than yesterday. 

"Ah, Ms. Brooks, Mr. Montgomery, please follow me," said Detective Vasquez. He must've flown out here to meet us.

Gripping each others hand for dear life they walked into an office. Detective Vasquez sat in the chair behind the big oak desk and gestured for us to sit in the chairs waiting on the other side. We sat and waited for the detective to break the silence.

"So, I hope you both know why you're here. We need information," he looked at both of us with piercing eyes. "And I'm hoping you can give us some answers."

I looked back at him and nodded slightly. "What do you need to know sir?"

"Well, Austin, your mother--"

"She's not my mother," Austin spat.

The detective looked taken aback but recovered quickly. "Ah, yes, of course. Your adoptive mother reported you and Sophie missing a few days ago. We asked if she thought you might have run away and she thought it could have been a possibility. She said yes, and that you might have gone to Miami? Well she seems to have been correct. But what I am wondering, Austin, is why Miami?" Detective Vasquez asked with a piercing look at Austin.

Austin looked at his lap and mumbled, "I had someone I needed to find here."

"May I ask who?"

Austin raised his gaze to the Detective's. "My real mother."

Again the detective looked surprised. "And did you succeed?"

Austin seemed to push down some unwanted anger and forced his reply out. "Yes."

"Well that's wonderful. I'm truly happy for you, Austin," the detective said sincerely. "But, I trust you know that's not why we're here. You two made a pit stop on your way here--"