Chapter 22

Tobirama frowned as he felt his body lock up. His eyes shifted to Orochimaru; his red eyes locking on. "It seems once a soul is summoned back from the dead, there is an... adjustment period for the soul to take over the living body its using." Tobirama focused internally, manipulating his chakra and spiritual energy to recover faster.

Orochimaru glared at the Second Hokage, "I need to get the tags in their bodies now, before they are completely out of my control!" Orochimaru dashed forward, heading for the immobile First Hokage.

Unsure of Orochimaru's intention towards his brother, but unwilling to find out, Tobirama pushed his body forward, stumbling into Orochimaru's path and pushing chakra out. Orochimaru jumped back at the force of the chakra, before making another run.

"We need to stop Orochimaru from getting close to the First!" The Third yelled at his student, watching his sensei's clumsy attempt to defend his brother.

Jiraiya nodded, "Got it!" He leaped forward, hair hardening and shooting out to Orochimaru. When Orochimaru evaded to the side, Jiraiya ran through a series of hand signs before shooting fire at him, like a flamethrower.

The Third Hokage appeared from behind Orochimaru, "Shadow Shuriken!" Several large shuriken flew out and pinned Orochimaru in the back. Orochimaru's body melted into mud before appearing on the other side of the field.

"Ninja Art: Toad Oil Bomb!" Jiraiya called out, catching only Orochimaru's pant leg as he evaded.

"DAMNIT! I can't get close!" Orochimaru thought, his eyes moving fast from Jiraiya, Hiruzen, and Tobirama. He focused on the Second Hokage, "How is he able to move and expel chakra?!" Orochimaru formed several hand signs, "Summoning Jutsu!"

Two large white snakes appeared and took off towards Jiraiya and the Third Hokage.

Orochimaru quickly diverted back to the First and Second Hokages.

"Ha! Not a chance, Orochimaru!"

Orochimaru turned around to see Jiraiya quickly summon Gamabunta to fight the snakes, before running towards him at a phenomenal rate.

"Art of the Raging Lion's Mane!" Jiraiya's white hair shot out in different directions, in the attempt to grab Orochimaru. When it missed, the hair joined together to form a large mouth – aiming to swallow Orochimaru whole.

Orochimaru quickly summoned his blade, Kusanagi, and deflected his attack with a hard swing of his sword.

.

Tobirama watched the fight between Orochimaru, Jiraiya, and Hiruzen before shifting his eyes over to his brother: Hashirama. Tobirama was starting to feel the chakra return to him, giving him more movement, but was confused as to why his brother continued to stare ahead like a zombie.

He had never seen his brother so... quiet before.

"Hashirama. Onii-san." Tobirama called to him, trying to move his body closer.

"Ah. Tobi..." Hashirama's eyes shifted down slightly, "It seems you are faring better than I." Tobirama was shocked by his brother's plain and expressionless tone. Hashirama sounded... like him... And that was not who his brother was.

"That snake ninja... He must have completed the jutsu incorrectly..." Tobirama's eyes widened, "Or he did this purposely... Fearing my brother's will could break the seal binding him under his control..." Tobirama's eyes shifted to Orochimaru, as he shots another attack towards Hiruzen.

"Then... Why am I different?" Tobirama slowly raised his hands, feeling more of the chakra flow into them, "Could it be because my soul was not summoned from the world of the dead?"