Shippuden Chapter 2

.

Tsunade stared blankly at the sake cup in her hand. She was currently residing in small pub within the village of Konoha. The lighting was dim and flickering, but Tsunade did not notice as her mind was running through a million thoughts.

"Wow. Things must be bad if you're not drinking yet – especially when the booze is within grasp."

Tsunade looked up, giving the person who spoke a slightly annoyed look. Recognizing the white haired toad sage Tsunade snorted, "Jiraiya. Bout time you showed your face." Tsunade brought the sake glass up to her lips and downed the shot.

Jiraiya chuckled deeply at his old teammate as he slide into the seat across from her, "Had to finish up a few things. You wouldn't want me to come back with a partial report, would you?" Jiraiya grinned at Tsunade's glare as he quickly ran through a couple hand signs and placed a seal on the table. The grin fell from Jiraiya's face as he turned serious, "You aren't going to like what I have to say."

Tsunade exhaled, her eyes closing as she leaned back in the booth, "I didn't send you out expecting you to bring back reports about unicorns and mermaids." Tsunade's eyes opened with a sharp look, "What should we be expecting?"

Jiraiya's shoulders sag, "Honestly? I'm still not entirely sure. So much of the Akatsuki is still unknown – their end game goal, their leaders, their members. All I can tell you is that they are all on the same level as Uchiha Itachi and terrifies even Orochimaru."

Tsunade sighed, "Which is a topic for another time, but one we need to address." Tsunade's jaw tightened, "Every mission I send Uchiha Sasuke on, his minions make an appearance. The boy hasn't been made aware of the true threat of the situation yet, but that damn Nara knows and is quite vocal about it."

Jiraiya chuckled lightly, "It's good to know that I wasn't the only one being driven to an early grave by a demon spawn of Shikaku these last two and a half years."

Tsunade snorted and rolled her eyes, "Back to our current, pressing problem."

Jiraiya nodded, "The Akatsuki..." The toad sage paused, "While we don't know what their ultimate goal is, we know what their next step will likely be."

Tsunade stiffened, "You don't mean..." Tsunade's eyes focused out, "Naruto..."

Jiraiya didn't respond. He took a moment to think before crossing his arms, "You know... Someone said something interesting to me today."

Tsunade raised an eyebrow, "What does this have to do with the Akatsuki?"

"I was speaking to someone, in regards to the group." Jiraiya started, looking Tsunade in the eye, "I expected them to react the same way you did, however... Their first instinct was to ask about the Sand's Jinchuriki, Gaara the Kazekage."

Tsunade frowned, "How is that strange? The Akatsuki are after the tailed beasts."

Jiraiya nodded, "Yes, but their worry for the Kazekage, specifically, is what really caught my attention. They said if the Sand lost their Kazekage, in the state they are in now, the Village Hidden in the Sand would collapse." Jiraiya leaned over the table, "Think about it! The Sand is leaning heavily on us right now. Medical expertise, training methods for recruits, mission support – hell, we're even sending shinobi over their regularly to help with the day to day functions within the village."

Tsunade crossed her arms, "Suna lost a lot in the invasion during the Chunin Exams three years ago. Shinobi, leaders, support from their Daimyo, their reputation..." Tsunade shrugged, "And after our incident with the Cloud, we had to throw as much support towards the Sand and surrounding shinobi villages to show the other nations that, while we weren't looking for another fight, if they wanted one..."