Chapter 35

.

You know... Having a twin is not all it's cracked up to be.

It's a real drag, if Shikamaru was going to be honest about the whole thing

He wasn't even given the luxury of being an identical twin.

Why was he stuck with a girl? It wasn't fair... and in all honesty, had Kanoko looked a little more like him, he would have cut her hair and dressed her up to look like him. She acted like a guy a majority of the time anyways...

But back to his point... think about it. An identical twin.

Do you know how much shit he would be able to get away with?

His mother would come storming up to him and yell at him for something he didn't do (because he was a lazy bastard and love it) and he would just tear up and tell her that she was picking on the wrong twin and he was innocent. She would then apologize and leave him alone for the rest of the day.

Genius.

Pure Genius.

.

But no... Kami had to go and give him a sister.

Not just a sister either.

Kami went and gave him Kanoko – the most troublesome woman to have ever been born.

Which then brings him to another reason why being a twin is a total and utter drag.

Comparisons and expectations.

When they were younger, the two of them looked a lot more alike than they do now. Many people they met thought they were identical twins. Until their mother specified that one was, in fact, a boy and one was a girl.

And you know what?

No one ever got it right.

They always thought he was the girl!

They'd pinch his cheeks and tell his mother that he looked just like her and he would grow up to be a beautiful woman that all the men would be after. They would then turn to the serious looking (for a four year old) and tall standing Kanoko and coo at how brave and strong she looked. "He's going to be just like his father. Smart, strong, and braver than any man before him! You have really been blessed Yoshino-san!"

That's what they would say!

About Kanoko!

Not him!

And what did his mother do?

Laugh.

.

She laughed.

.

Shikamaru quickly demanded his hair be put up in a similar ponytail to his father's. After that, the comments on his femininity were never made again, and he never again left his house without his hair up either.

.

Unfortunately, the comparisons were just as bad, if not worse.

"Shikamaru, why haven't you started walking like your sister?"

"Shikamaru, no, no. Watch how your sister does it! Do it just like her."

"Have you seen Kanoko's test scores? How come Shikamaru's aren't as high?"

And none of those comments were from his parents!

As mentioned previously, not only was he given the gift of a sister, but he was given the joy that is Nara Kanoko.