Chapter 3.

"Please tell me we have lunch now," I groaned.

"You're in luck. We do," Isla laughed.

We were packing up after chemistry class. All we did was safety instructions and nothing else. At. All.

"Yes! Let's go!" I yelled and grabbed her arm. I dragged her out the door and then stopped. I had no idea where the cafeteria was.

I turned to Isla. "Uhh..where--?"

She laughed. "Follow me."

This time she's the one to grab my arm and drag me to the cafeteria. We walked down the stairs again and pushed our way to through the crowds.

"People still have class right now?" I asked when I saw students walking into classrooms.

"Yeah, the freshmen and sophomores have lunch after us because otherwise there would be too many students on lunch break."

"Huh. I guess that makes sense."

We walked through the doors of the cafeteria and a lot of people looked our way. Some started whispering and Isla looked at the floor.

I nudged her with my shoulder. "Keep your head up," I instructed.

She nodded and looked up. Her eyes scattered over all the students. This must be giving her major anxiety.

"I'm gonna get some lunch, you coming?" I asked her.

"No, you go ahead. I'll wait back there."

"You're not gonna eat?"

"I brought a sandwich from home."

"Okay, if you say so.." I said and eyed her warily.

She smiled at me reassuringly and walked over to the corner of the cafeteria. She leaned against the wall and motioned for me to go.

I made my way to the line to get food. There were just a few people infront of me.

"Well, who do we have here?"

I turned around and see Ryder with his group of friends.

Why was he suddenly talking to me? Not even two hours ago he wanted nothing to do with me.

"Well, it looks like a very eager creature begging for attention because he doesn't get any at home or in school and me!" I told him and rolled my eyes.

His friends started laughing. "Oooh, burn!"

What a bunch of immature children.

"You've got quite a mouth on you, darling," Ryder said.

"Tell me something I don't know," I said and smiled sweetly at him. I rolled my eyes again and turned around.

"You know, I like it when a girl plays hard to get," Ryder said in my ear.

I elbowed him in his stomach and he let out an 'umph'. He staggered back a bit, not expecting me to hit him.

"Personal space, buddy," I called over my shoulder.

His friends laughed again. By the now, almost the whole cafeteria was watching us.

Don't they have anything better to do?

"I'm afraid I don't know what that means," he said, standing up straight again.

I scoffed. "Yeah, you can tell."

I heard him step closer to me and then somebody talk.

"Ryder, you coming?"

"Yeah, I'll be right there. I've got to go, darling. Hopefully I can talk to you later."