Chapter 16.

I was about to plead for forgiveness when I saw Ryder standing in front of me but remembered why I did what I did.

So I matched his pose and kept a blank face.

"Hello, Ryder. Nice face," I said and smirked at him.

This got him even more mad and he took a step forward. "Listen here," he began and pointed at me with his index finger. "You are new here. I've been here since day one. You do not get to come along and make a fool out of me just for your own amusement," he warned.

"Oh really?" I challenged and also took a step forward. "Because it looks like that's exactly what I'm doing."

"And that's why you're gonna stop," he said and took another step forward.

"And who's going to stop me? You? Unlikely," I said and took one more step forward. We were only very few inches apart. I could feel his warm breath fan over my face.

"You're absolutely right. It will be me," he said in a low voice.

My heart was beating rapidly in my chest due to the closeness but I couldn't let it show that I was just a tiny bit flustered.

"I don't believe you. I'm not scared of you and you have nothing to hold over my head," I said and matched his low tone.

"Well then I guess it's good that you have a certain ...attraction... to me," he told me and smirked. "I will be using that to my advantage." He leaned closer to so that our faces almost touched but not quiet yet.

"Well, guess what, I could say the same thing" I whispered. I grabbed a fist full of his shirt and pulled him against me. Our bodies were tightly pressed against each other and I had to use all of my self control not to close the distance between us. "And trust me. I will definitely be using it." We looked deeply into each other's eyes before I let go of his shirt and used his moment of confusion to escape.

I ran down the hall and back down the stairs to see coach and the whole team in the lobby getting their rooms assigned. I got my jacket and backpack from where I had left them and walked over to the group.

"Oh, Kennedy! There you are!" coach said and walked over to me. "Remember how I said I won't treat you any differently because you're a girl?" he asked me.

I nod at him.

"So that's why you'll be rooming with someone just like the rest of the guys."

"That's totally fine." I honestly didn't mind. I lived with two brothers. It wouldn't really bother me to share a room with someone.

He handed me two sets of keys. "Give one of those to Ryder," he told me.

I didn't think I heard him correctly. "Ryder?"

"Yes. You'll be sharing the room with him," is all he said before walking off.

I stared at him disbelief. Did he really expect me to be able to share a room with Ryder? That was like one if the worst ideas possible. There was no way this was going to end good.

I turned around and saw Ryder coming from the staircase. He had managed to successfully get of all the sharpie.

Stupid idiot.

I let out a deep breath and threw the keys at him. Sadly, he responded immediately and caught them before they could either fall to the floor or hit him.

"My room?" he asked me and I nodded in return.

"With who?"

"You'll see," I responded and walked outside to get my bag from the bus.