Chapter 15 - Feyre

My mind is whirling, nothing seems to be making any sense at all. Jurian is not Jurian, Celaena is not Celaena, and Amren is afraid. It seems that the entire world has flipped onto its head.

Celaena - Aelin, whoever she is, is curled over on herself, her face screwed up in pain. Her companion looks as though somebody just told him that everything he ever believed was true is actually false.

I don't trust the pair, but we still need to get out of here. And given a choice between them and Hybern, I choose them. I step forward cautiously, in such a way that Hybern and Jur - Erawan won't notice me. Out of the corner of my eye I see Rhys and Mor doing the same.

Mor grabs the mortals, Rhys Nesta, Cass and Az, and me Aelin and Aedion. As Hybern figures out what we're doing I feel the beginnings of a spell start to grab us, but we're gone before it can fully take effect.

A moment later we're back in Velaris. My father and his companions are staring around in horrified fascination. Graysen's father even has a blade out, which he's pointing at no one in particular.

I ignore them. At this moment, they are not the biggest threat. I instead turn my attention to the two before me. They are both still pale and unsteady on their feet. I feel a twinge of sympathy in my gut, but I push it down. Until I know what's going on, I can't afford to feel sympathy. I can't afford to like these people.

"Sit" I say. My voice has lost the High Lady's power, but it's still forceful.

To my surprise they actually obey. I open my mouth the speak again, but before I can Amren says, her voice softer than I have ever heard it "How do you know Erawan?"

Aelin looks up, her gaze hard. "It's no business of yours."

Before Amren can speak again, and from the look on her face I doubt it would be speaking so much as attacking, I say "You still owe me two questions."

Aelin shifts her gaze to me. Reluctantly she nods her head. "Who are you?" I say, "And no lies this time, please."

Aelin sighs, and for a moment her eyes are far away. Then she looks me dead in the eye and says "My name is Aelin Ashryver Galanthius, queen of Terrasen. That is Rowan Whitethorn, my mate, husband, and king."

Beside me I hear Amren suck in her breath. "No," she murmurs, "No it can't be."

I flick my eyes over to her, eyebrows raised. Her face is pale, but her eyes, her eyes hold something I've never seen before in her. Hope.

I'm confused, but it's at the bottom of my priorities list. I turn my attention back to Aelin. "Who is Erawan?"

Even hearing the name seems to frighten the girl. "He's, he's a creature, a horrible creature. Him and his kind attacked my kingdom, killed thousands. After years of fighting we defeated him, or we thought we had. But apparently he's here."

Amren pipes up, her voice hoarse and a little choked "How long ago?"

Aelin looks at her, surprised, a feeling I happen to share. "What?" she asks.

"How long ago did you defeat Erawan in battle?" Amren replies.

Her brows creased in confusion Aelin replies "A year."

Amren claps a hand over her mouth. Rhys looks at her, concern etched over his every feature. "What is it Amren?"

"A year" she says in a voice that sounds as though it's warding off tears "It's only been a year. But it's been so long, so damn long, it isn't possible, it isn't."

Then the tears that she's been fighting start streaming down her face.

Cass, looking truly alarmed, goes over to her. He hesitates slightly, then places a hand on Amren's shoulder. She slaps it away and glares up at him, baring her teeth. Cass looks slightly relieved.

Aelin is staring at us all utter confusion written across her face. Suddenly Amren whips her face back up to Aelin's. "Did everyone survive?"

Nobody responds. After a moment Amren repeats her question, this time at a scream "Did everyone survive!?"

"Did who survive?" Rhys asks softly.

Amren just looks at him for a moment, then turns back to Aelin and says "Please, Aelin, I have to know. Did they survive, Dorian and Elide and Asterin..."

Faster than any of us could see Aelin is out of her chair, her blade pressed to Amren's throat. I expect Amren to fight her, for power to start flying, but she just sits there, tears still falling. "How do you know those names?" Aelin says, anger and fear colouring her voice, "How do you know Erawan?"

Amren takes a deep breath, then turns and whispers something into Aelin's ear. A flurry of emotions begin to play for dominance across Aelin's features. The most prominent is disbelief.

She drops her knife and backs away from Amren. "How is this possible?" she asks, "You're dead, we thought you were dead."

Amren remains on the ground. "I, I fell into a portal, and I ended up here. And Aelin, I think time must run differently here."

Aelin's brows pull together. "Why?" she asks.

"Because" Amren replies, "I've been here for six thousand years."

Aelin's mouth falls open. "So that's why you didn't recognize us right away."

Amren nods. I look between the two, hoping that someone will tell me what the hell is going on. Finally I lose patience. "Will someone please explain!?" I say.

Both women's eyes turn to me. It's Amren who replies. "You know that I come from a different land, that I'm trapped here, in this body, and I can't leave?"

I nod, and she continues. "I'm from her land originally. Thousand's of years ago I fell through a portal in the middle of a battle, the same battle that they apparently defeated Erawan. And then I woke up here. I didn't know what had happened. You know the rest."

I'm shocked. Amren ignores the barrage of questions being shot at her by our group and turns her attention back to Aelin. "Please, Aelin, please tell me they all survived"

A flash of sadness flies across Aelin's face. "Manon..."

"Manon?" Cass interrupts.

"My name, a lifetime ago." Amren/Manon says.

"Manon..." Aelin continues "Most people survived. Dorian, Dorian's fine. So is Asterin and the rest of the thirteen."

A look of relief crosses Amren's face, but Aelin isn't finished.

"But Manon, Elide..." Aelin cuts herself off, biting her lip.

"No" Amren says, any relief gone from her face. "No!"

"I'm sorry." Aelin's eyes are filling with tears "We tried. We tried everything, but..."

Amren starts crying, sobs wracking her body. I raise a questioning eyebrow in Aelin's direction. She shakes her head tears sliding down her cheeks.

Suddenly a voice from the corner of the hall interrupts our group. My father is standing there, and he has an ash blade held against Nesta's throat. We were all so preoccupied we didn't even here him grab her. "This is all very touching and sweet." he says "but I would like some explanations, and I would like them now. Or I slit her throat." 

Hope you all liked it!

Don't forget to vote and comment below.