Chapter 23 - Aelin

I could say that our wait outside the convent yielded huge results.

I could say that every Child of the Blessed saw sense and came to hear us speak.

I could say that we won the war right then and there.

I could say that the sky turned purple and started raining chocolates.

Unfortunately none of those statements would be true.

The half hour  is nearly up, and nobody has come. It's just me and Feyre standing in silence. I want to ask her about Ianthe, about Elodine, about that skeleton I saw in her mind for a moment, but I feel like that conversation would not go well. It would most likely end with one or both of us dead. I personally don't want to be dead. 

Finally, just as we're about to go, the doors to the enormous manor open, and out spill three people. Three. Wonderful.

They walk over to us, and as they approach I notice that one of them, the leader, is Elodine. That makes me smile, I like the girl, but I see Feyre tense beside me. When the small group reaches us they stand for a moment in silence.

All three of them are girls, about 17 or 18. They are staring at us, at me particularly, like I might either be the best or worst thing that has ever happened to them, like they aren't sure if I'm amazing, or absolutely terrifying. 

Their special attention to me confuses me for a moment, before I realize that Feyre's glamour is still in place. They still think she's human. 

Finally Elodine gains the courage to speak. "You said to come out here if we wanted to know the truth. Well, we do."

Then she breaks off, obviously waiting for my reply. I don't give one, which seems to concern the girls. After a moment one of the other girls, a brunette, says "Milady, you have to understand that we came our here at great personal risk."

Her voice is whiny, entitled. As though she truly thinks that walking the hundred feet from the manor was a great risk. I hate her almost immediately.

"I'm so sorry, I forgot that you have the most to lose here." I say.

The girls shuts her mouth immediately. I would have said more, but Elodine interrupts me "Please Aelin, it's just, it isn't really safe for us to be outside. The villagers, they hate the Children of the Blessed, even more so over the past few months. First Feyre disappears, then my family's accident, and it was all blamed on the fae, as if they could be behind things like that!"

Feyre snorts. Elodine turns to look at her, eyes wide and questioning. "Elodine," Feyre says "The fae were behind those."

All three girls whip their heads to look at me for confirmation. "Don't ask me" I say, my tone bored, "I've only just learned about any of this."

"Then how can we trust your word about what's happening in Prythian?" the annoying brunette asks, "A mortal and a new comer certainly aren't the people I'd turn to for information about the Fae."

I'm about to open my mouth, to tell the girl exactly where she can stick it, but Feyre stops me. "If you won't take our word for it, then let us take you to people you will believe."

All three girl's eyes widen. It's Elodine who speaks "you mean, take us to Prythian?"

Feyre nods. I try to catch her eye, but she's avoiding my glance. I don't know why we would take these girls to the night court when the entire problem could be remedied by the removal of her glamour, but I'm not going to say anything. It's up to Feyre to decide, not me.

The three mortals look like they've just been handed everything they could ever want on a silver platter. 

"How are we going to do this?" says the last girl, the one who had previously been silent. 

Everybody is looking at me, so I say "Take hands."

The girls promptly do, and then Feyre and I reach to and touch them. Little do they know that it will be Feyre doing all the work here, not me.

When we melt away Elodine gasps and the annoying one shrieks. I get the feeling she would have done much more, but before she has a chance we're standing in a clearing outside Feyre and Rhys' home. The ground is covered in snow, and everything is silent. All three girls stare up in awe at the house. I have to admit, having never before seen it from the outside, it is impressive. 

Feyre closes her eyes briefly, and her lips move slightly in the way the do when she is talking to someone mind to mind. A moment later a dark shape falls out of an upper story window. The girls gasp, then gasp again for a different reason as Rhys straightens and brushes himself off. My eyes are on, not his admittedly handsome face, but the large bat wings sprouting from his shoulder blades. I had noticed that Cass and Az both have a set, but before right now Rhys didn't. It makes me wonder if he has any other secrets.

The annoying brunette girl is eyeing Rhys like a piece of meat up for sale. Then she shoots a very clear look at all of us, 'back off, that one's mine." 

I laugh a little at the fact that I don't think either Feyre or Rhys notice. Rhys' eyes are glued on someone else, but it isn't Feyre. It's Elodine. He looks like he's seen a ghost, a ghost who is probably here to kill him. His eyes dart to Feyre, and then back to the girl.

He takes a step forward, but before he can go any farther his path is blocked by brunette. She curtsy's deeply. "My Lord, it is such and honor to meet you!" she says, her voice high and sweet, "My name is Tana."

Rhys, finally noticing her, raises a single eyebrow. "Good for you." is all he says, then walks straight past her to Feyre. 

Tana whirls around and glares at Feyre, but Feyre either doesn't notice, or doesn't care. Rhys stops right in front of her and says "Are you hurt?"

Feyre shakes her head.

"Are these girls a threat?"

"No"

"Good"

Then Rhys pulls her tight against his chest. 

All the mortal girls are watching with huge, round eyes. They don't seem to notice that Feyre is shaking, they don't seem to hear that what Rhys is saying into her ear, over and over again is "It's OK, it's OK darling.

It's OK"

Hello all,

Hope you liked that chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment below!

Also, just as a cool side note, just got assassins blade (don't judge, it's been hard to get my hands on a copy)

OMFG the feels!!!!!!!