Chapter 24 - Feyre

I'm falling apart. I can feel all the pieces that I've been holding together so carefully falling away, away into the abyss. The only things keeping me together are Rhys' arms around me.

I can't fall apart, not yet. I have a job to do.

I can't fall apart, I have a war to win.

I can't fall apart.

So I won't.

I take a deep breath, then another. I am the High Lady of the Night Court. I can do this.

I pull back from Rhys to look at the girls we brought here. I don't know why I didn't just remove my glamour, it would have been so much simpler. So much better. But I could make myself do it. So now here we are.

Tana, the brunette whom I think Aelin very much wants to kill, is glaring at me, hands on her hips. The other two are less hostile, but are also looking at Rhys and I with curiosity.

Tana says "You told us you were bringing us to people who would know what's going on with Prythian, not your boyfriend. I don't want to talk to some low level Fae who has probably never even met his High Lord."

Rhys laughs, a sarcastic sound. Then he bows to the girl with a flourish. "Pleased to make your acquaintance ma'am. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Rhysand, High Lord of the Night Court."

Tana squeaks and claps a hand over her open mouth. The other two fall to their knees in a prolonged bow.

"Get up" I snap at them. I can't deal with this, not right now.

Not from Clare's sister.

They both look at me, then at Rhys. "I would do as she says." Rhys says lightly.

Both girls spring to thier feet, but Tana levels a glare at me. "I will follow the orders of Fae, and especially of High Lords, but I will not answer to the mortal daughter of the town loon."

Rhys glares at her so hard I'm worried he might kill her right here an now. To avoid the mess that would cause I reach out and place a hand on his shoulder. Then, though I really don't want to, I slowly remove my glamour. I watch the girls eyes get wider and wider as they watch the illusion melt away. When finally I stand before them, my Fae ears on full display, they look as though they are about to die of shock.

"How?" Elodine asks, her voice a thin waver.

"That" I say "Is a very long story."

"Well, you did promise us the truth" she says.

I sigh. She's right, but I don't know how to do this. How do I tell these people this story? The whole horrid thing. How do I tell Elodine especially?

Before I have time to formulate an answer the doors to the house open and out spills the entire inner circle, along with my sisters and Greysen. "And the trimphant explorers return!" shouts Cass.

Then they seem to notice the three people we have brought with us. Nesta and Elain's eyes fix on Elodine, and her's on them. She looks like she's about to faint, and I can't really blame her. Az and Cass walk over to Rhys and I cautiously, their eyes never leaving the girls. When they reach us Cass opens his mouth to speak, but Az silences him with one raised hand. Az then turns his attention to me. He doesn't have to say a word, he just raises a single eyebrow.

"They were the only ones who would listen to us." I say "The only ones who hadn't already decided to trust Ianthe."

I feel three startled pairs of eyes fix on me. I sigh and continue "She's been visiting the convent for months, acting as Messiah to the occupants. She's also been taking one a month to Hybern, I don't know why. If I had to guess, I'd say experiments with the cauldron's power."

I feel Rhys' hand on my shoulder, and reach up to hold it. "Anything else?" Az asks.

I breath in deeply, "Ianthe is dead."

At that I feel all three males freeze in place. Then Cass starts laughing. He is soon joined by both Rhys and Az. I even feel my own face break into a tentative smile.

We are interrupted by Tana's shrill voice. "I was promised an explanation. I was promised the truth. I deserve the truth!"

Everybody turns to stare at the girl. She blushes bright red but doesn't back down. It's Aelin who finally says "Let's get one thing straight right now girl, you don't deserve anything. You are here, and we will tell you our story, but you do not get to make demands. You do not get to pretend that you are hard done by, are suffering."

Tana whirls on Aelin and opens her mouth to scream back, but I interrupt her before this can become a full blown argument. "You both have a point. Tana, you are a guest here, and you do not get to make demands like a queen from her throne. Aelin, we did promise them tour truth."

"For that matter" Graysen interrupts "you promised me the truth as well."

I nod at him. "Then it's time to start this story. And I think that we should start with a wolf and a huntress."

It takes over 2 hours to get through the story, all the important parts anyways. I leave out Clare Beddor. I will tell Elodine, but I will do it later, in private. It is not a story that she should have to share.

When I am done speaking all three humans are looking at me with huge eyes.

"It seems ... impossible" says the third mortal girl, the one who's name I still don't know.

"I know." I say.

"How can we help?" Asks Elodine.

I bite my lip, because I honestly don't know. I had a plan before, but that plan is useless now. It hinged on a lot more people being involved. Then I have an idea.

"Stay here." I say "And teach. Teach these useless lugs" I gesture vaguely at the inner circle "About humans. The last time they had any real human contact was over 500 years ago. And I would like us all to go into this battle a little more prepared."

I can tell that my friends don't really like this plan at all, but they aren't going to argue. I feel Rhys' amusement, and shoot him a small smile.

Elodine nods to me "We can do that. And in exchange, will you teach us about the Fae? "

I nod.

"Good." Elodine says "The we can start tomorrow."

Hello all!

Sorry about that chapter, not sure it was as good as the others. Oh well. It will get better!

Now, as some of you know I just read Assassin's blade (AHHHHHHHH) and I was thinking about a fanfic I could write where sam didn't die and he and Celaena went to live with the silent master in the desert. How would you guys feel about that??

Let me know and don't forget to vote and comment!