Chapter 20 - Feyre

When I open my eyes the sun has just begun to rise, bathing the entire room is a soft pink light. Rhys is still asleep and I don't want to bother him, so I don't move, I just stay in bed letting my mind wander and plan the conversation that will have to take place this morning with the inner circle.

I'm startled from my thought when Rhys, who must have woken up while I wasn't paying attention, plants a soft kiss on my shoulder. I turn to him with a smile. His eyes are still blinking in the light and his hair is mussed. It is the most normal, most perfect moment that we've shared in a long, long time.

Of course the moment had to be ruined by violent banging on our bedroom door. Cass' unmistakable voice calls from outside "Whatever you two are doing in there you need to stop and come join us!"

Then his footsteps and the sound of his laughter fade down the hall. I roll my eyes at Rhys who laughs silently. Cass will be Cass.

We both climb out of bed and dress for the day, both in casual, comfortable clothes, and head to the dining room. There we find that the inner circle has already assembled. Cass greets us with a single raised eyebrow and a knowing smirk, that is until Amren hits him in the face with a well thrown roll. The entire table bursts into laughter, myself included.

As we eat I watch those around me. Aelin is sitting with Rowan on her right, Amren on her left. It makes me wonder again who Amren was to them in that other land; it also makes me wonder if she will return with them when they go. That worries me a little, Amren is a powerful ally and a good friend. I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her to give up what may be her only chance to return to the life she had before.

I bury those thoughts for the moment. Worrying about things that might not even come to pass won't help anybody, better to focus on what's happening in the here and now. For example, the fact that Elain is sandwiched between Nesta and Graysen, the former of whom looks like she's about to commit mass murder, the latter looks like he's about to vomit onto his plate. I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes.

We all finish our meal without, thankfully, and vomit or murder. Once all the food has been cleared away a hush falls over the room. It's like we're all waiting for somebody else to speak first. I glance at Rhys. He raises his eyebrows in an expression that clearly means, 'Your party darling'.

I scowl at him and clear my throat. Then I say "I have an idea, and you are all going to hate it."

"Well that was very clear and informative Feyre" Mor says with a wink.

Everyone else just sits in silence staring at me. I take a deep breath and close my eyes, already knowing how they are going to react to what I have to say. "As I see it, we need allies in the mortal realms. I don't want to have to fight Hybern on one side and the mortals on the other. So what I propose" at this I open my eyes, "is that I finally start doing the job that I was technically hired to do, be you're emissary to the human realms."

As soon as the words are out of my mouth the table erupts into chaos. Everybody is yelling and arguing and screaming curses except for me, Rowan, Aelin, and Rhys. We are just sitting, watching. At one point I catch Aelin's eye and she winks at me. I smile in return.

Once the general outcry has died down Mor says, her voice shrill and furious "We just got our high lady back, and now you want to leave us again?"

"No," says Aelin thoughtfully, talking to Mor but looking at me, "She's right. She knows the humans, their customs and their beliefs. She can pass for human. You all are fae from the way you speak to the way you walk. Her, she still radiates 'human'".

Mor glares at Aelin. "And what do you know about human? You're just as fae as the rest of us."

To my surprise Aelin laughs at that, Rowan and Manon too are wearing tiny little smirks. "Here's what I know about human" Aelin says.

Suddenly Aelin is encased is glowing white light. I start to move towards her, worried about what the light might be, but Rowan catches my eye and shakes his head slightly. I settle back, but keep my eyes glued to the spot where I last saw the girl.

After another moment the light clears, and in the space where it was sits Aelin, but slightly different then she was a minute ago. Her pointed ears have morphed into curved shells, her elongated canines have shortened, and the aura of power that always surrounds her has faded. I feel my jaw drop open. Aelin is human.

Aelin shakes her head a bit, as though adjusting to a new set of senses. Then she rolls her eyes and says to Rowan "I really, really, hate this form. I feel weak."

Rowan chuckles, and I realize that it's the first time I've seen him laugh, or really show any emotion around us. Aelin brings out the human in him. Rowan catches my eye on him and immediately he is stone once again. I sigh and turn my attention back to the impossible girl before me.

"How?" I ask simply.

Aelin shrugs, "It's my alternate form."

She states that so simply, as though it's a fact of life. As though everybody has an alternate form. She must catch the looks of confusion on all our faces because she says "Ah, so that isn't a thing here. Well, in my world all the fae have two bodies, one fae one animal. Mine happens to be human. Rowan is a hawk. I know one male who turns into a giant kitty cat."

Rowan snorts and Aelin smiles innocently. I have to laugh a little. Aelin's grin widens. "I lived as a human for years, still do most of the time. It isn't like here, the Fae can live among mortals, but it makes most humans uncomfortable. And they'd certainly prefer to believe that their queen is mortal. I think, as the only one here who can actually be human, apart from Graysen who just doesn't count, that I would be an asset."

I nod, she makes a good point. Mor has her mouth open, ready to object again, but I quiet her with a look. "I need to do this" I say quietly "I need this."

Mor bites her lip, then closes her mouth. She understands, understands that after my father I need to do something productive, something good. She won't ask another question, and I'm grateful.

After that most of the group wanders off, leaving only Aelin, Rowan, Rhys and I at the table. Rhys takes my hand, and through our connection he says "Are you sure about this? It's bad enough you going alone, but with her..."

He trails off but I know what he means. I squeeze his hand. "I'm sure." I send down the bond.

Aelin looks over at us, her brows pulled together. "So," she says "Do you have a plan, or are we going to be just wandering around the town square screaming 'War is coming! Trust the fae, but not all the Fae, some are dicks!'"

I laugh a little, but then sober immediately when I remember that I do have a plan, a plan that even I hate.

"In your world," I say to Aelin, "to you have the Children of the Blest?"

Lalalala, living in a lovely world where nobody but me knows what's coming next!

Bwhahaha!

Maybe just ignore that first part...

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed it, and don't forget to vote and comment below!