Chapter 49 - Aelin

It's been less than a minute since Feyre dropped the book into the cauldron and disappeared in a flash of white light. A tense minute. A silent minute.

Even Hybern seems frozen in shock. Except looking closer, he isn't frozen in shock. He's just frozen.

I look to my left. Rowan is staring at the cauldron, is eyes unblinking.

Rhys on the other hand, Rhys is very much unfrozen. He's looking at the cauldron, at the place where he last saw his mate, walking towards it as though in a dream. I take an experimental step and find that whatever spell Hybern was using to keep us frozen is gone.

I want to go to Rowan, want to shake him until whatever spell is holding him has vanished, but I don't. Currently, Rhys is the more pressing issue.

I run towards him and place a hand on his shoulder. He turns to face me. "What?"

"What's going on Rhys?"

"I don't know."

"Where is she?"

It's a moment before he answers. "I don't know. This wasn't part of the plan."

I'm about to ask "Wait, then what the hall was the plan?" but I don't get a chance. There is light pouring out of the cauldron, flowing like a liquid. Then it forms a shape, a vaguely human one.

As the light dims her features become clear. It's Feyre, undeniably Feyre, but different. Even once the glow from the cauldron has faded, the one around her remains, seeming to leak from her pores.

Rhys is staring at her with him mouth slightly open, concern etched on his features. Feyre isn't looking at him, almost deliberately it seems to me. Instead she's looking right at me.

She opens her mouth but no sound comes out. There are tears streaming from her eyes, each one seemingly made of it's own little beam of light.

I don't say a word, I just watch her. She struggles with her mouth for a moment, looking as though the words are sticking in her throat.

Finally she speaks, and the words sound as though they are echoing from a long ways away.

"I need you to make me a promise Aelin."

I don't know why, but looking at her tears spring to my eyes. There is something on her glowing face, some emotion I can't read, that makes me certain that whatever comes next, I'm not going to like it.

"What?"

"Be better."

I swallow hard, then say "Better than what?"

"Better than us. Better than before. Make this world better Aelin."

"Feyre stop." I say "You can make this world better. You and Rhys and your family. You will win this, and you will make it better."

Feyre shakes her head, her tears increasing. "When I'm done, there'll be confusion, chaos. Nobody will have a leader. Be that leader Aelin, unite the humans and the Fae. Build a better world."

"What are you going to do?" my voice is catching between sobs.

"Promise me!" She nearly screams it.

I know that I shouldn't, that I should argue more, but I don't.

"I promise. What are you going to do?"

"I'm sorry."

"What are you going to do!"

I can barely understand her answer over the building power in the room.

"Burn the world"

Hey all, the next chapter will be posted within a few moments of this one.

Don't forget to vote and comment below.