Chapter 50 - Feyre

I can feel the protector's power flowing through me, trying to get at those who did it wrong so long ago.

It's almost too much, I can feel it burning away at me, focusing itself on the part of me that is High Lady, that is its enemy.

But I have to hold on, just a little longer.

Then Aelin says it, the words I have been waiting for.

"I promise"

I know she will do it. She will do what we won't be able to. She will save our world. The protector said that this burst of power will burn him away too. She will be all that's left.

The second part of her statement hits me as I start to lose control. "What are you going to do?"

My answer tears from my throat. "Burn the world"

A bit dramatic, but if ever there was a moment...

As I feel it getting away from me, I finally do what I wasn't strong enough to before.

I look at him.

I feel his violet eyes burning into me. A question.

To me it feel like an accusation.

Without meaning to, I throw myself at him, wrapping my arms around him and pulling his mouth against mine.

I can feel the power whirling away from me. The room is full of whipping columns of light, each flying outwards. Each to a different target.

I let it go.

The whole world narrows, to him and me. His lips on mine.

I open my mind to him, all barriers down.

I can feel him in my mind, feel his questions, his confusion.

Then his understanding.

Then his forgiveness.

His arms tighten around me pulling me closer to him. He lets down all his barriers, all the blocks to his mind, until there is nothing between us.

I can feel the power burning away at me, at both of us. There are tears streaming down both our faces. His life and mine flash before my eyes, until I can't tell the difference between the two.

A snow covered forest.

The view from the sky.

An arrow through a wolf's eye.

A pair of severed wings.

A thrown shoe.

A paint covered cottage.

Violin music.

Stars over Velaris.

The last image stays, the stars, the dark, the whirling patterns hanging in my mind's eye

as we burn

and burn

and