Chapter 21- Aelin

During a long and rather boring discussion preceding our journey Feyre had told me more than I ever wanted to know about these 'Children of the Blessed'. To be honest, they sounded like absolute idiots, and I'm still not sure that they are our best bet if we want our message to be heard, but Feyre seems sure. 

After our long and boring discussion we had to change, to put on clothes that are better suited to the humans we are supposed to pretend to be. when Feyre emerged from her changed room I was astounded. Not only were her clothes different, she looked different. It took me a moment to realize why. She looked human. Her pointed ears and canines, the bizarre tattoo on her arm, they were gone. When I asked her about it all she said was 'glamour'.

And that brings us to right now, standing in the entry hall of Feyre and Rhys' house. 

Everybody is here to see us off, wish us well. There are still those, such as Mor, Rowan, and Manon, who think that we should not be doing this alone, but they all seem resigned to the fact that they can't really stop us. I watch Feyre give Rhys one last kiss before she nods to me, letting me know that she's ready when I am. I begin to move towards her when Rowan catches my arm. "Come back to me Fireheart." is all he says.

"To whatever end." I reply, then I pull out of his grip and walk over to Feyre. 

She grabs my arm, and we melt away. 

When we emerge we are standing before an immense, austere looking building. I shoot Feyre a quick glance. She looks calm, almost peaceful, but her eyes are worried, tense. That puts me on edge. I wouldn't think that this would be a harrowing mission, but Feyre isn't scared of much. Whatever she thinks that we'll encounter here must be pretty awful.

Suddenly the door opens before us, revealing a young woman, maybe 20 or 25, dressed in white with silver bells at her wrists. "Welcome," she says, her voice light and airy "What brings you here?"

As we discussed I let Feyre do the talking. "We wish to be taught the ways of the blessed." She says, her voice just as sweet as the girl's. 

I want to roll my eyes, but I refrain. We must speak with these people, and if this is the only way to get through the door, then so be it. 

The girls eyes light up "Then welcome sisters. Please come in."

I let Feyre go through the door first, and our of habit check to make sure that it isn't locked behind us. 

We both follow the girl down a long ornate corridor, that lets out into a large sitting room. There, sitting in chairs or leaned against the walls, are a collection of people of all aged and genders dressed like the girl who lead us here. They all look up at us as we walk in, and stare in silence for several long moments. Then a woman sitting near the back of the room says "Sister Talia, who are these people?"

The girl who brought us here, Talia, says "Recruits. They say they wish to be trained in the ways of the blessed."

Suddenly the mood of the room, that I hadn't even noticed was tense, lightens. There are bright smiles on faces that were suspicious only moments before. Before either Feyre or I has a moment to think we are surrounded by people, each of whom wants to greet us, welcome us, name us their sisters. It's sickening. 

Then Feyre's face blanches, all her colour disappearing in what seems like less that a second. "Feyre?" I whisper, concerned. 

I follow her eyes to a girl sitting in the corner of the room. The girl doesn't look intimidating, her blond hair is long, brushing her waist, and her enormous blue eyes seem to take up the majority of her face. She looks sweet, a little like Evangeline. I want to know why Feyre seems so afraid of the girl, but she doesn't say anything. She just keeps looking like she's seen a ghost. 

The girl comes over to us, pushing through the throng, and says "Feyre? Is that you?"

I tense, ready to fight if need be, but Feyre signals that it's all right. Then she nods to the girl. The girl's face splits into an enormous smile. Then she hugs Feyre around the middle. "I knew it!" She cries, "I knew it! Oh I can't believe you're here! This is going to be amazing!"

Then she turns to me and says "Hi! I'm Elodine, Elodine Beddor. My sister used to be friends with Feyre'e sister!" 

At that her face darkens a little and Feyre looks as though she is going to throw up. I will have to ask her about that later. It seems important. But for now I have a part to play.

"Hi Elodine, I'm Aelin."

Elodine smiles broadly at me, then turns back to Feyre and starts talking a mile a minute. "It's so amazing that you're here, you're going to love it! I came after ... after the accident, I wasn't there, I was visiting relatives, I came back and they were all gone, and I was in a bad place, but these people saved me and taught me so much and gave me a life and what brings you here I though you hated the fae?"

I swear she doesn't take a breath or pause once during her little speech. 

Feyre seems to have regained some composure, and she says, "Well, some things have happened in the past year that have ... changed my perspective some."

I stifle a little laugh. 

"As to why I'm here," Feyre continues, ignoring me "That's a long, long story. And to that end," She turns to the woman who first asked who we are, "we need to speak with everybody, every person in the convent. Is there some time when that could be arranged?"

The woman fixes Feyre with her piercing grey eyes, then says "Now would be appropriate. All our disciples who have not yet attempted the crossing are here."

"The crossing?" I ask, unable to refrain myself.

"Crossing the wall" pipes up a boy leaning against the fire place, "going to the holy lands."

I bite my lip and keep quiet, even though all I want to do is laugh or scream at their stupidity. I'm not sure which. 

Feyre sighs, then says "Wonderful, I'm glad we can get this out of the way early." 

Then she takes a deep breath, prepared to begin on the story we have come here to tell, but before she can begin the grey eyed woman raises her hand. "Wait," she says "We will be glad to hear your tale, but first, it is time for the Holy One's visit."

There are noises of excitement and giddiness around the room, but I also detect apprehension from some of the people present, most notably Elodine. Before I have time to ask who on earth the 'Holy One" is, there is a glowing light in the center of the room. When the light clears it leaves behind a woman, a fae woman, hooded and cloaked, with her back to us. 

Feyre makes a squeaking sound in her throat, then faster than I can think she has grabbed my hand and encased us both in an invisibility glamour. 

When I look at her, eyebrows raised in question, I find her shaking, not with fear but with rage, her eyes glued to the woman. She notices the question in my gaze, then says, with more venom in her voice than I've ever heard before, 

"Ianthe." 

The cliffhangers are back, run for your lives!

I hope you enjoyed this, and don't forget to vote and comment!