8) O r a n g e (N e w)

Can you understand me now, baby?

Do you believe me?

-Sun Is Shining

___________________________________________________________

I'd rather you color me orange,

I'd rather let you see the flames within me.

___________________________________________________________

My level of productivity is not very high, in fact, I am more of a last minute kinda girl. So when I finished my packing and double-checked everything, exactly 38 hours before the field trip, my mother had a consolidated reason to be worried.

"Bella, sweetheart, is everything okay?"

I glanced at my mom, who had a concerned look on her face. I didn't respond to the question for at least a few seconds, after a pause, I finally answered, "Yes Ma, I just... I don't know. I am a bit scared. I want to win this competition."

My mother's spontaneous reaction was to hug me, I shut my eyes and relished in the feel of her small arms engulfing me, she was so cozy. For a considerable amount of time, we stayed in that position until mum slowly released me.

"Honey, we will manage. You don't have to be so involved in this, just enjoy the experience. I promise you that you will be able to go to University!"

I sighed, I knew she would say that. "There's Jasmine too Ma, what about her dreams? The prize money for the competition is good enough for me to be able to pay for my college fees."

"But-"

"No buts and ifs, we'll just have to see how things go."

Mom sighed and got up, ready to leave my room, but turned around halfway through it.

"I just don't want you to stress so much Bella, please understand that you're my child."

______________________________________________________________

Since it was the day of our field trip, my mom insisted on dropping me to school. It was exactly 8 'o'clock, when we arrived at school and Jasmine soon hopped off the car and rushed inside without saying a bye! Mom and I dismissed her behavior, we very well knew that she didn't want to look like a 'kid whose parents drop her to school'. She needs to get over her silly teenage thoughts.