Chapter Four

Corin leaned against the bar, running a hand through his locks of hair

          Corin leaned against the bar, running a hand through his locks of hair. The red of his shirt glowed under the black light, but his skin was a normal tan. Tayla looked from her own hand, darkened to a mix of indigo, back to his. Her eyes narrowed. How was his skin normal under the lights?

"You're Corin?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

He nodded. One soft hand grabbed Tayla's, bringing it to his lips. Their colors contrasted against each other. Compared to the rest of the darkened club goers, he stood out like a light bulb. Her muscles pulsed under his touch, a prickling sensation as if electricity was twinning through her, traveled up her arm.

Tayla withdrew her hand before he finished his kiss. "Can I see some kind of ID?"

"Of course." He reached into his jeans pocket and pulled out a wallet. Another club goer rubbed against Tayla's back as they squeezed in toward the bar and called for the bartender. She leaned closer to the ID flashed by Corin. There was something off about his name written in bold lettering. Both hands rubbed her eyes, but it stayed the same. Black light had to be playing tricks on her eyes.

"My mom asked me to find you."

Corin withdrew his wallet, replacing it in his pocket, before asking, "And who is your mom?"

Tayla didn't answer. News reports flashed a picture of her mom on every TV screen that wasn't playing the dancers in the club–chances were Danika's name was out there as well. While there were no signs of Recruiters anywhere inside, that didn't mean the yellow suits hadn't disguised themselves to blend in with the crowd. Anyone could be a spy, even if Tayla didn't understand why they were spying.

She rested a hand on top of Corin's and leaned in. "Is there some place private we can talk?"

One side of his mouth curled upward as he jerked his head to the left. "Follow me."

Heat rushed to Tayla's face when Corin threaded his fingers through hers. Muscles tightened in her stomach with the influx of energy pulsing through them. It wasn't the first time she'd held a boys hand, but it was the first time she felt the urge to melt into a puddle. She didn't like the feeling, not even a little. There was something off about it, something she couldn't place.

They pushed through the crowd of dancing clubbers, twinning their way toward a hall leading past the stage. Two bouncers stood on either side of the entrance; they were identical copies of the man outside. It wasn't just that they had similar features to the bouncer outside, it was as if he was in multiple places and they were still as intimidating. Corin touched his free hand to his forehead, flashing a salute to the hulking men. They didn't move or speak when Tayla was pulled past them.

She glanced to the dance floor. The young man in the hood who entered the club before her stepped out of the crowd behind them, stopping at the hallway entrance. His hood kept his face concealed as he tilted his head downward. She blinked and he was gone.