Chapter Eleven

Max hooked his arms under Tayla's limp body, Mylar pushed her from the other end, forcing her through the narrow window

     Max hooked his arms under Tayla's limp body, Mylar pushed her from the other end, forcing her through the narrow window. Though the girl she'd picked to disguise herself as wasn't robust, when she was nothing more than a rock of useless flesh, it wasn't easy to force her out a window. Her body rolled to the side when Max dropped her on the alley and crawled back to the window.

"Mylar . . ."

"Don't you worry about me, Maximilian. Your dad and I have an arrangement and he's not going to break it over you. You know that."

"Doesn't mean he won't let the double dicks teach you a lesson. Dad is good about lessons."

Mylar reached through the window and touched Max's cheek. He couldn't remember when he'd first met the hacker, but he'd always been there to help. His family used Mylar like a tool, as they did most people, but that didn't stop him from being kind to Max every time. The older he became the more he realized he hated his family. Knowing what they'd do to Mylar for not giving Max up made him hate them even more.

"You remember my friend Kimber, right?"

Mylar nodded.

"If my brothers do what I think they're going to do, go to her. She knows someone who can help you."

"You just worry about your girl, Max. Get her to Corin safely."

Max looked to Tayla. She lay curled in a ball, her now dark hair coiled over her shoulders. Her clothes no longer fit the way they were supposed to, her chest had grown with the shifting of her torso. The girl she'd picked was slightly taller with rounder hips, making her clothes stick tight to her skin.

"Does Corin even exist? Are we wasting our time?"

"He exists Max. I don't know where he is, but I know enough Supers to know he exists. He has to. Now use your power to get her up and run."

"I don't know how much I have left in me, Mylar. My head is already killing me."

"Just get her away from here." Mylar shoved a bottle into Max's hands. "Here's some Downers to wipe the effects when she's ready. Go, Maximilian. Go."

Mylar closed the window and vanished behind the curtains. Max shoved the pills in his pocket and scurried to the end of the off shooting alley. He glanced around the corner. Donny sat on Max's bike, rubbing his bandaged hand. Darin leaned against the brick wall, cleaning his nails with a switchblade. His dad, a hulk of a man, stood at attention in front of Mylar's door.

Christopher Foster was every bit the monster Max used to dream about. He ruled the house through fear and intimidation, when that failed he exercised his super strength. It was never enough to go too far, but always enough to leave a mark. Darin often received the brunt of the eldest Foster's anger, a fact he took out on Max whenever he could. Max had never felt the fist of his father against him, he didn't have to when he had two twin brothers eager to dole out the punishment on his behalf. The most damage Christopher had inflicted on Max was psychological and the cigar burns on his side.