Chapter Twenty-Seven

          Remy knelt by Evan, her hands resting on his face. Both their eyes were closed as she leaned in and touched her forehead to his. A mountain tattoo peeking out through her halter-top brightened and shifted. It split in half, forming two mountains with a leafless tree between the two. The branches twisted and spiraled, merging like vines emerging from the trunk.

Tayla hopped behind to catch her when Remy fell backwards, gasping for air. Her heavy eyes stared up at Tayla as she pat her hand.

"His condition is permanent," she said through her gasps. "Best I could do was ease his pain and give him a little mobility in his hands, but it won't last. Weeks at most."

Tayla looked to Evan who stretched out his arms and curled his fingers inward. His lips still couldn't move aside from a handful of stiff twitches. Tears rolled along his cheeks when he looked at her.

"Thank you." The machine continued to speak on his behalf, belting out his words in steady tones.

"That was incredible," Corin whispered, kneeling beside Evan. He watched Evan continue to stretch his arms. "I knew of your power through Nicron's database, but to actually see it."

Kimber leaned down and helped Remy to her feet, Tayla took her other side, allowing Remy to drape her arms over both girls. Her head bobbed as she tried to look at Corin. Both eyes dropped to nearly closed.

"I have some ground rules if I'm going to help anyone else here," Remy said.

"Of course. Anything you want, it's yours." Corin stood up and grabbed a notepad off the nearest counter. They'd moved Evan into one of the cubicles, closing off the open space with a curtain. Ash stood watch outside, occasionally peaking in through the thick cloth.

"First, I need a private room to work, even more private than this. One with a bed so that I can rest after every patient. There will be exceptions, but unless otherwise stated I can only take one patient a day. As you can see it wipes me out even when I only do a little bit. Also, it must remain a secret what I do, even down here. I haven't managed to stay out of the PC's radar this long only to throw it away now."

"You'll have a private apartment in our quietest neighborhood, it'll be close to an emergency exit as well so you can control when you come and when you leave. We'll arrange for a memory crucible to be set up. Any you see will be required to consent to having their memory wiped of the experience." Corin wrote in the notepad as he spoke.

Remy nodded. "I also would like to see the files before I agree to take them on. There are some things, such as missing limbs and neurological issues, even I can't heal. I don't want to get anyone hopes up if I can't help them."

"Understood. May I ask how have you kept yourself under the radar? I've known two other healers in my day and they had lines out the door of people wanting their help."