Chapter Seven

Tayla sat in the bus stop, swinging her legs as they barely touched the water soaked ground

          Tayla sat in the bus stop, swinging her legs as they barely touched the water soaked ground. She'd walked three blocks toward new downtown before she decided to risk taking a bus. It would take too long to go on foot and she needed to get to Gifted Books before it closed. If she had to spend another night alone in the city she might run out of luck. This Nicron had to know where Corin was, he had to.

"You know a bus hasn't run through old downtown in nearly twenty years, right?"

Tayla looked up to Max leaning against the side of the bus stop, his hood pulled over his head. She grunted and looked away. One hand waived toward the paper flapping against the scratched glass. Gang signs and other random words carved into the once clear glass made it impossible to see through.

"Well then why is there still a bus schedule?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe because this is a shit neighborhood and people prey on the gullible." He pointed to a man standing in a dark alley across from the bus stop, watching them. As soon as the man saw Max point, he jammed his hands into his pockets and walked back into the alley. "Had I not been following you, he'd have robbed you blind or worse."

"Gosh, aren't you just my holy savior. Such benevolence." Tayla rammed her hands in her pocket and bit on her lip. She leaned forward, looking in direction the bus would be coming. There wasn't a car on the street aside from the rusted buckets parked to the side. Newspapers, damp with the nights rain, stuck to the asphalt. Even the homeless frequenting fire in barrels were nowhere. It was her and Max, alone on the graffiti covered street.

She sighed and hopped off the bus stop, walking toward new downtown. It would probably be nightfall before she found Gifted Books, but it was a risk she had to take. Even if she knew how to find Danika's car again, it wouldn't run with her voice, and if there were no buses it left only one option.

Walking.

"Are you seriously going to follow me the entire way?"

"Only if you're stupid enough to walk," Max said.

Tayla stopped and turned around. "Well if there's no bus, how do you propose I get there?"

Max grinned. "We could always take my holy bike. All holy saviors have one. It's a holy rule."

"How many times are you going to say holy?"

"Holy a thousand times."

Tayla groaned. "You nearly got me killed! Why the hell should I trust you?"

"Correction, you nearly got yourself killed by going someplace you knew nothing about." Max's smile widened. "I simply aided your succumbing to a couple of asshats named Dick and Dick, I mean Donny and Darin."

"Are you trying to be charming to make me trust you?"

"Actually I don't give a shit if you trust me. My world won't end if you don't like me and I'm certainly not going to write my feelings of abandonment into a diary." He shrugged. "But I will continue to make sure you get to Gifted Books even if it means walking behind your ass the entire way. Besides, I'm bored and it's not like I have anywhere else to go right now. Could be cool to meet a legend."