Chapter Eight

"That's your bike?" Tayla frowned at the rusted bucket of bolts hidden under a tarp

          "That's your bike?" Tayla frowned at the rusted bucket of bolts hidden under a tarp. Dust swirled through what used to be the detached garage of the house after Max pulled off the tarp. Tape covered most of the once metallic bike's surface. Rips shredded the black seat and the side compartment to carry stuff sat open without a lid. Tayla didn't want to know what kind of critter lived inside the compartment to leave claw marks on every side.

"Hey! Don't insult Betsy." Max pat the duct taped handlebars. "She's old, but she still runs."

"Does that even run on hydrogas?"

"Nope. Nor does it have an on board computer to be tracked with. It's an old gasoline powered motorcycle and I love it! Illegal as shit, but untraceable."

"Except when it's on the road and the yellow suits pull you over."

Max snorted. "Did I mention I was telekinetic? I could instill the idea I'm riding a unicorn in their mind and they'd nod and smile before going about their day."

"Aren't yellow suits supposed to be impervious to natural born Supers? It's one of the reasons Power Uppers are so effective for the police force."

Max lifted a lengthy leg over the side of the bike and pressed down on the pedal. The engine purred and stalled. He pushed three more times before the engine whirled to life. A wide grin curled over his face when he looked up.

"You really know nothing about Supers and PU's except what the PC's tell you. Nobody is impervious to a natural born Supers ability. All Power Uppers do is even the playing field a little." He reached into the side compartment and pulled out two silver disks. "Please tell me you at least know how to use a helm disk."

Tayla rolled her eyes and grabbed one of the disks. "Just because I don't trust your archaic bike or know much about Supers, doesn't make me stupid."

She stared at the thin circle of silver. It didn't look like it belonged in any computer and with his bike being anti-tech, it certainly wasn't a navigating chip. Her eyes drifted from the disk to Max who continued to grin. He lifted his disk and touched it to his temple. Blue light circled around the edge of the silver. A helmet emerged from the light, conforming to the shape of Max's head. When he pulled his hand away, the disk remained on his temple with the light spinning around it.

"It's a helmet," he said.

"I knew that." Tayla glowered at him before touching her disk to her temple. She tried not to jump at the numbers blinking in the corner of her eyes, telling her the distance between her and a rock to the side of the garage foundation. When she turned her head, the number adjusted to the post of a onetime fence. Any object she looked at changed the number and it fascinated her.

"When you're done pretending it isn't a shock to see the helmet calculate the distance, then hop on the bike so we can get going."

"My mom would hate you," she mumbled as she climbed on the back of the bike.