Chapter Thirty-Three

Tayla leaned against the hood of the car, staring into the dead lands

          Tayla leaned against the hood of the car, staring into the dead lands. Lightning streaked against the thick clouds in the distance as the rain buried the reddish world in its haze. One hand ran through her now pink hair, the wind catching the soft strands and shifting them with its desire. She turned to look behind her when the trunk slammed shut.

"Are we finally ready?" she asked.

Ash raised a hand, counting her fingers. She looked the sky, bit her lip, then counted again. "Let's see, the square root of the circumference equals the—"

"Stop trying to act smart and tell me if we have everything."

She grinned. "Let's see. Tents to sleep in the dead lands, our own particle transporter for a fast get away, some coms, new underwear for when you shit yourself again. . .yup we're good to go."

"Are you going to be sassy the entire time? If so, maybe we should bring ear plugs too."

"Nah." Ash leaned into the back seat window and pulled out two heavy, clear bottles. "I have Vodka. Vodka makes anything annoying fun! Even you."

Tayla pushed off from the hood of the car and grabbed one the bottles from her. One eyebrow lifted as she read the label.

"This says Nodica."

Ash shrugged and grabbed the bottle back. "So it's bootleg underground Super Vodka, it's still the same damn thing. Burns your throat but goes down smooth and gets you just as shitfaced." Ash looked behind Tayla. "You know if we leave now we're going to ram right into that electrical storm, right? You're only just now back on your feet."

"It's not like I have much of a choice. Corin is going to be a one-armed wonder dealing with the fighting in Eden City and trying to make peace between the Normies and Supers here, Kimber is keeping Max from blowing up his head by using his power when he's not ready yet, Remy is busy healing Max . . . or trying to when the stubborn fool resists. I don't trust anyone else to go after my mom and someone has to go after her."

"I'm g-going w-with y-you."

Tayla looked behind Ash to see Max emerging from Tradekur, his left leg dragging underneath him. The once bustling trade town stood silent, most traders fled when the first fires broke out within Eden City's walls. Tayla didn't blame them, they weren't stupid, it wouldn't be safe for anyone any time soon. Max slowly stumbled forward, his foot creating a path in the dirt. His left eye dropped mostly closed, joining with fresh scars curving over his forehead. Kimber followed close behind, shrugging when Tayla caught her eye.

"No you're not."

"Y-yes I a-am." He stuttered slow, his mouth hardly moving. Max couldn't keep his head from bobbing or control the random spasm in his hands.

Tayla sighed and cupped his right hand between hers. "No, Max, you're not. Remy isn't done healing you. I know she says she might not be able to fully return you to the Max I knew, but this Max can barely speak nor can he use his power without screaming and crying. Your left leg is dead weight, you can't grip anything without shaking, and don't get me started on the fact you can barely see. You can come join us later on one condition."