Chapter Nineteen

Tayla didn't know how she was supposed to react

          Tayla didn't know how she was supposed to react. Was she supposed to cry and rush into his arms at the thought of a relative she never knew? Did she need to be angry? She knew how to throw a tantrum with the best of them and could do so if that's what she had to do. However, she didn't know. There wasn't exactly a rule book for situations like these. Her body wouldn't move, not even to look at Max who rested a hand against her shoulder. Did he know what to say in this situation?

Tayla closed her eyes and inhaled. Danika had never mentioned Tayla had an uncle. In fact, Danika had spent little time talking about any of her family. Whenever Tayla approached the subject, her mom always found a way to change it. It was quick, subtle, and half the time Tayla hadn't noticed until hours later when she realized she'd asked a question and received no answer. As far as Tayla knew, she and Danika were the last of her bloodline.

She opened her eyes and stared at Corin. He hadn't moved in her minute of reflection. There was no smugness to his expression, that belonged to Ash who sat behind him as if her knowing Corin was Tayla's uncle made her feel superior. Corin sat in his high back chair, making it impossible for Tayla to judge his height. His sagging jowls formed an m shape with his pointed chin. Slicked black hair thinned toward the back, curling around ears that appeared too small for his round face. There was nothing abnormal about him, not that she really suspected it. Tayla just wanted to find something that might tie him to her or Danika.

"Bullshit," she said finally. It was the first thing that came to her mind and didn't seem to faze Corin in the slightest. "Mom never mentioned I had an uncle let alone an uncle who is the king of the Supers!"

Corin chuckled. "I'd hardly call myself a king. I suppose you could call me Mayor of Genesis, but hardly a king." He pushed back in his chair enough to open the center drawer. Corin pulled out a single picture and slid it toward Tayla.

Her eyes drifted from him to the picture. Danika stood between two men, one was clearly a younger version of Corin. He smiled with his arms draped over Danika's shoulders. The other, a tall and lanky man shrouded in a white lab coat, stood on her other side. Both hands crossed in front of him, his angular dark eyes stared blank at the camera, showing little emotion beside the smiling Corin and Danika.

"Danika is the woman who raised you, but she isn't your mother."

Tayla looked back to Corin then back at the picture. His hand rested near the top of the picture, fingers curled like they were ready to rip the picture away at a single moment. She continued to look from one to the other, trying to wrap her head around everything.

Tayla shook her head. "No. That doesn't make sense."

Yet it did make sense. She and Danika looked nothing alike. Both men in the picture bore a better resemblance to Tayla then Danika ever had. Tayla looked back to Corin and narrowed her eyes. Max gripped her shoulder tighter.

"What game are you trying to play? Of course she's my mom! Who else would she be?"

"I believe that disc in your pocket will hold the answers we both seek."