Chapter 1

Eve's POV

"I'm sorry Eve. It’s unstoppable now. We were too late. The leukemia is getting too bad now, and you only have a year left to live. I'm sorry, only a miracle can help now. “He told me. My eyes widened.

"But what about my kids? I can’t just leave them! I wanted to be there for them. I wanted to see them grow up!" I exclaimed in a hurt voice as my eyes started to water.

My daily morning alarm annoyingly rang next to me; I groaned and sat up lazily. "Abby, please stop imitating a fire truck." I grumbled tiredly, rubbing my eyes. She gave me a cute sheepish smile that forced me to smile back at the cuteness,

"Sorry mommy. You told me not to play in the snow until you wake up. And now you’re up." she explained. "So can I go play outside now?!" she asks me, widening her eyes and giving me the puppy look. I smiled. 

"Go wake up your brother and sister. I'm going to make breakfast first." I told her. She nodded and raced out of the room. What a ball of energy.  

I frowned at my dream. It was one I had since my doctor’s appointment two days ago. Where my doctor told me I only have a year left to live. Most people would freak out and start accomplishing their bucket lists. But I'm just worried about my kids. I didn't tell them yet; I told nobody really, I don't want them to worry or anything. I just I don't know who is going to take them in. I guess I can give them to my ex-husband, but he is a business man and is always busy. He doesn't have the time to take care of three kids. I need to figure something out soon.

 I got out of my bed and changed out of my night gown and into some casual sweats and a hoodie. Then I put my messy brown hair into a bun. There is no need to dress up if you’re not going anywhere.

If jogged downstairs and started to make some chocolate chip pancakes. Today was the first day of winter break for my kids and it was a tradition to make pancakes. The older kids were most likely still sleeping giving Abby, my four year old daughter, and a challenge since she is the only morning person in our family. I have no clue where she got that from. I and her dad were all late sleepers. A strange one she is.

Soon enough I heard Abby stop down the stairs and turned to her grumpy face. "Wyatt and Alyssa won’t wake up." she huffed. Crossing her arms and taking a seat on the kitchen island.

I chuckled. "Don't worry they will wake up soon. If not then we can eat up all these yummy pancakes." if tell her. Her face lightens up instantly and she jumps off her seat and races to the fridge to pull out the syrup.  She managed to place the large bottle on the family table.

Once if finished off with the pancakes and set them on a plate to cool off, I jogged back up the flight of stairs and entered Wyatt's, my twelve year old son's room. He was spread out on his twin bed face down and was lightly snoring. I smiled and sat at the edge of his bed. I placed my hand on his shoulder and slightly shook it. "Honey, wake up." I said quietly. He mumbled some stuff I couldn't comprehend but didn't wake up. "Hurry up and wake up or else the chocolate chip pancakes are going to get cold. And Abby and I are going to have to eat them all."I said standing up. his eyes shot open.

"Chocolate chip pancakes?" he asked in a tired but excited voice. I chuckled and nodded. He was just like me. A chocoholic. 

"Hurry up. After breakfast we’re going outside." if told him. He rubbed his eyes and nodded, jumping out of bed. I walked out of his room shutting the door closed and walked two doors down to Alyssa's room. Her room was a typical sixteen year old room. The walls were painted black with white polka dots and her bedspread, carpet, and dresser were pink. Then she had posters around her walls of some boy band.