Chapter Five

"You better catch me Caesar", I whispered, signing with my hands and giggling.

He grinned back, putting his finger to his lips and shushing me, telling me to stop giggling.

I calculated the height from where I was stood in Caesar's room at the top of the stairs, down to the bottom where Caesar stood.

It was an early Saturday morning, Dad and Grandpa both asleep. We were early birds, messing around as much as we could before they woke up.

Caesar cooed, encouraging me to jump as he held his arms out below. I grinned, bending my knees and bracing myself to jump.

"One, two, three", I whisper-yelled, letting myself fly through the air.

The flying was short-lived as I felt furry arms grip me around my waist mid jump and then landing safely on the ground.

I was pumped with adrenaline, and I hadn't even eaten my breakfast yet.

"I'll race you to the kitchen", I signed to Caesar, not waiting for a reply as I jumped on to the stair bannister, sliding down it quickly. I heard his feet padding behind me as I leapt over the side of the bannister and on both feet on the hallway floor.

I made a beeline for the kitchen. Knowing I was winning, I couldn't keep the smile off of my face.

Suddenly, I felt hands and feet on my back as I collided face first on the ground. I picked my head up to see Caesar baring his teeth in a laughing victory, mocking me at my loss.

I laughed, getting up from the ground and quickly getting over my defeat.

"What do you want to eat today, your majesty", I asked him, bowing in emphasis.

He just made random ape sounds.

"Banana it is then", I mumbled, getting one from the fruit bowl and throwing it back at him. He caught it one handed and downed it easily.

I sat down at the table with my own banana, taking a bite out of it and then putting it down.

Caesar began hooting at me and then screeching as he pointed at my face.

"What?", I asked pulling a hand up to my face. Then I felt something warm coming down my nose and I wiped it with the back of my hand.

"It's only blood C. Your fault for pushing me like that anyways", I told him. He crawled over the table and sat in front of me, a guilty look on his face.

"What's with all the screeching?", I heard a voice from the doorway.

"Oh, your awake Dad", I grinned.

"You're bleeding? What happened?", he asked, walking over and taking a hold of my face. He picked up a tissue and held it at my nose.

From next to me, I could see Caesar looking at me with uncertainty. He didn't want to get in trouble.

"I fell on my face. Tripped over my own feet", I lied. Dad nodded, cleaning my nose and letting go as the bleeding stopped.

I winked at Caesar and he calmed, seeing that I was fine and he wasn't in trouble either.

"What are we doing today Dad?", I asked.

"Well, when the nurse finishes getting your Grandpa ready, we might go to the park", he suggested.

"Fabulous!", I agreed, leaning across the table to take a piece of banana out of Caesar's fur. I cringed, throwing the tiny sloppy piece of fruit onto the floor, a splat sound following after.

"Ivy-"

Dad began to tell me off before he was interrupted.

"LET GO. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?", I heard yelling from upstairs.