Chapter Seventeen

I burst out laughing, scaring Caesar, Cornelia and the ape doctor who accused me of being pregnant. I shook as laughter overtook me but I tried my best to shut myself up, covering my mouth with my hand. After a short silence I only snorted and burst out laughing once again, not failing to miss the concerned looks I was getting. I wiped the tears from my eyes, my laughter slowly dying down and gradually fading into sobs. I began crying with tears of both shock and denial now running down my cheeks. I gripped my head in my hands and leaned down so my head was on my knees.

A hand touched my back, rubbing up and down in attempts to comfort me. I breathed in heavily and sat up straight again, wiping the tears off of my face as I breathed out a shaky breath. I noticed the doctor had left now and left me alone with Cornelia and my brother. I looked at Caesar, my lip trembling as more tears threatened to come out of my eyes.

"I'm pregnant, Caesar", I whispered, scrunching my eyes up and dropping my head down on his shoulder. He wrapped his arms around me, chuckling as he did so. I furrowed my eyebrows and sat up again.

"Why are you laughing!", I accused, sniffling up the snot that was going to pour out my nose. Caesar just shook his head and pulled me in for a hug.

"Why are...you...crying, Ivy?", he replied. I put my head in the crane of his neck as he held me and rocked us both back and forth.

"I don't know", I mumbled, truthfully. "I think it's just shock. I didn't expect to be...pregnant."

"You'll be an amazing mother", Cornelia signed to me and I smiled at her kind words.

"Not as good as yourself, though", I teased, chuckling when she shook her head and smiled back.

"It's too dangerous for a baby in this world, C", I mumbled as I fumbled with my fingers. His fingers held my chin and made me look him in the eyes.

"And yet I have two, perfectly healthy ones", he reasoned. I sighed, closing my eyes and scooting away from Caesar.

"I guess so. But what do I say to Jace? Oh hey you moron, you got me pregnant. Now what?", I said in exasperation. Cornelia began laughing and shaking her head at me.

"You'll know what's best for you and Jace. I'm sure you'll figure it out", Cornelia signed. I nodded, now biting my nails in nervousness. I stood up and began pacing the room. Caesar sat next to Cornelia once again and they began talking in sign language.

I began thinking about this whole pregnant thing. I have no idea how I'm going to tell Jace, no idea how I'm meant to even care for a baby, no idea when I even got pregnant and how far along I am, and also no idea if this baby will even survive after I...give birth to it.

I stopped mid-step and gasped, earning the attention of my brother and his wife. I pulled up my shirt to uncover my stomach and began staring at it. I looked back up at the pair and stood sideways to show them.

"Do I look pregnant yet?", I asked them. Caesar burst into a fit of laughter, his head rolling backwards as he almost fell off of his seat. Cornelia slapped his arm, telling him to shut up. I pleaded them with my eyes to give me an honest answer.

"It's difficult to tell", Cornelia answered truthfully and I nodded, sighing in relief. It bought me some time at least. Looking at my stomach, it seemed normal enough apart from a slight bump. I began doubting then that I was even pregnant.