Chapter Twelve

JACE IN PICTURE

*this chapter is something a little different for you guys*

* * *

The wind blew my hair in front of my face, and I raised my hand to brush it back. I pushed my hands deeper into the pockets of my black trousers. I could feel the goosebumps on my skin whenever the breeze brushed against it.

I looked to my right, watching a single tear rolled down her cheek as she looked down at the grave in front of us. The tear fell on the fresh soil, but she didn't realise as she seemed to have blanked out everything except the piece of Earth in front of her.

I walked towards her, my hand wrapping itself around her own, diverting her attention towards me.

"It's getting late, Ivy. Everyone's gone home and your curfew's soon", I told her. She nodded mindlessly, walking up to the headstone and placing a single rose on the top. She kissed her hand and touched the gravestone for a few seconds before beginning to walk away.

"Thanks for staying, Jace", she thanked me, a broken and distant look on her face. I smiled at her weakly, wanting her to know I was here to support her.

"Don't mention it. What are friends for?", I replied, walking shoulder to shoulder with her. It was getting pretty cold, and before I knew it a few drops had started to fall from the dark looming clouds above us. We sped up our pace, not wanting to be drenched by the rain.

"Coming to mine?", she asked me. I hummed in reply before asking, "You still want me to?"

"Yeah. Needed your help with something", she told me.

Her house was silent when we got back, no sign of life anywhere. It had been a few days that Caesar had been away from his home and I could tell Ivy was finding it unbearable. She would tell me how no one was ever at home, her Dad spending most of his time working. However, it was quite safe to say she'd used her time productively, that is if you could call productive:

Sneaking into the primate shelter and meeting with Caesar every day since she was let out of prison. And after spending so much of her time there, she came across a lot of things the public would claim to be an illegal and cruel system. That naturally had Ivy dead set on exploiting them for who they really were, with me at her side coming up with a foolproof plan.

The key word being: had.

Unfortunately for that moron, she got caught before we did absolutely anything. All her plans to get Caesar free and then burning that 'shit-hole' as she called them, down to the ground were dropped faster than Rebecca Black's singing career. She was charged with trespassing, and 3 more days on her 'dumb curfew' and she wasn't allowed on the primate shelter premises for as long as the tag lasted. One could almost say she was desperate right now.

"I need to see Caesar without anyone knowing and I can't do that with this stupid tag on, Jace", she complained. "So I need you to take it off."

"You can't take it off, Ivy. That's the point of it", I pointed out bluntly, taking my jacket off and hanging it on the peg.

We walked into the living room and I sat down on the sofa. I watched her as she picked up the TV remote by habit and was about to turn it on, frowning before putting it on the table and sitting down on the sofa next to me.

"I thought this electrical shit was what you were good at? C'mon, please? I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important, you know that. Who knows what torture Caeser might be going through at that damned place, and we're just sitting here on house arrest", she said turning to look at me with a stern look.