Chapter Fourteen

THANKS FOR 6K READS GUYS. 

Apparently the world's gonna end today (sept 23) so I thought hmmm I should update my book.

LOL

* * *

"We've been at this for hours. We should've just gone for the rabbit whilst we had the chance", I mumbled, dragging my feet across the forests floor. We'd emerged into a clearing, the ground now more flat. I decided to take a seat, wanting to regain some of my energy.

I yawned, tears springing up in my eyes as sleep began to catch up with me. Jace was pretty persistent yesterday, as he wanted us to make it to the woods before nightfall. Having got here pretty late, it took us plenty time to set up a shelter and I myself only had a few hours sleep.

"Oh stop complaining. We haven't been hunting for that long. You're making it sound worse than it actually is", Jace replied, rolling his eyes at me.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Easy for you to say. You weren't the one on guard for predators last night, boy. And this was your dumb idea anyways. Running off like an idiot, after seeing a deer for all of 5 seconds. Do you even know how big these woods are?"

"Still not big enough for that massive gob of yours", he retorted. My mouth gaped open in shock, before I closed it quickly in sudden self-consciousness. He chuckled at my reaction, clearly enjoying hurting my much valued pride and ego.

"For all your talk of big things, can't say the same for your-"

"Shhhhh", someone behind me interrupted. I turned to face her, my eyes narrowing once again.

"What?", I asked in confusion.

"Shh. Listen. You hear that?", Mia asked me, her eyebrows furrowed in concentration. I frowned, straining my ears to listen too. And sure enough, I could hear a sort of rumbling sound. It began to get closer and closer, louder and louder. I stood up, looking across the clearing we stood in and into the treeline for any movement.

"What is that?", Jace asked me. I looked him in the eyes, slightly alarmed at the noise that sounded like it was coming in our direction.

I heard a chirp from behind me, and so I turned around. My eyes met with Holly's green ones, her lips puckering at me in question. She raised her hands to sign.

"It doesn't sound too good", she signed. I nodded, beginning to usher Jace, Mia and Holly away from the noise and towards the treeline which was away from the noise.

"No, it doesn't. Whatever it is, it's on the ground. We need height", I told them, also telling them to hurry it up a bit.

However, it seems we were a bit too slow, as before we even made it to any tree, a herd of deer emerged behind us.

"Shit. Run!", I yelled at them as I sprinted forward and ran alongside the rest and towards the nearest tree.

It seemed that I'd looked to the side at the perfect moment when I saw Holly trip over her own feet. I laughed at her panicked face, mocking her as I made it to safety myself.

Holly screeched at us in panic before turning back around and deciding to take shelter behind a boulder in the middle of the clearing. Me, Jace and Mia couldn't control our laughter as we watched the deer storm past Holly, many jumping over the boulder and knocking their hooves on the back of her head.

What cracked me up the most was when Holly raised her hand and flipped us off. My mouth hung open in shock.

"Did you see what she just did?", Jace yelled at me from the tree next to me. I burst out laughing, nodding as I did so. He mirrored my reaction, finding it even more hilarious that the ape just swore at us with her middle finger.