Chapter Fifteen

Enjoy :)

*      *      *

Jace. He shot Jace.

My terror turned to anger when the realisation hit me. I dropped the dagger in my hand and turned to face the man. He looked at me with wide eyes, his hands shaking as he held the gun and whimpering. I screamed in rage before running at him and tackling him to the ground. Everything around me was a blur as I punched the man in the face repeatedly, still unsatisfied when I heard his nose break. I wanted to kill him.

At some point, he picked up his gun which fell on the floor and tried to point it at me. I growled, crushing his wrist and snatching the gun out of his hand. I took the safety off before pulling the trigger, not once but three times, before pressing the barrel of the gun against his forehead. The man shook with fear beneath me, the soil surrounding his head holding the three bullets I shot.

I sobbed, crying as my own hand shook as I held the gun at his head. My finger was firm against the trigger, ready to pull and kill this man instantly when someone spoke up and interrupted me.

"Ivy", Caesar grunted, standing on a rock beside me with his hands held up as he tried to reason with me. I noticed how everyone had fallen silent, both the apes and the group of people, as they awaited my next actions.

"He shot him, Caesar", I whispered, now holding the gun with both my hands when I looked up at my brother. His eyes held worry and desperation, and I knew he wanted me to let the man go. I shook my head at him before he got a chance to say anything.

"I want to kill him", I spoke out loud to no one in particular.

"Please, Ivy", Caesar repeated, walking up to me now. He put his hand on my arms, wanting me to lower the gun. I scrunched my face up to force the tears back, but it was no use as a sob wracked through me and my arms fell limp and I dropped the gun. Holly's furry arms encircled me immediately and helped me get up and away from the beaten man.

My eyes fell on Jace's unconscious body once again, and I dropped myself next to his body and took him into my arms. I buried my face into his neck and held him as close to me as possible. I drowned everything out around me to focus on Jace's faint heartbeat and slow breathing.

"What do I do, Jace? I don't know what to do", I whispered to him, hoping he would reply to me. I searched his body for the wound, finding the source of the blood coming from his abdomen area. I pressed my hands against it in an attempt to stop him from bleeding out.

"Is he alive?", I heard Mia say, and for the first time I looked at her. Tears were on her cheeks, her eyes full of fear. My eyes softened at the sight of her, not even wanting to know what she was going through right now.

"He's alive. Don't worry, Mia. Jace is going to be fine", I reassured her, despite not quite believing myself. I then looked at Holly, her eyes darting around from one place to the next. She looked at Jace, then Mia, then the apes behind us before looking back at me. My heart broke at the sight of all three members of my small family, my mind still confused as to how everything got so messed up so quickly.

A hand fell on my shoulder, and I snapped my head towards them. It was Caesar.

"Let us help", he signed, his eyes reassuring me. I looked around, seeing the group of people now gone from the forest and the apes now heading back to where they came from with the ape who was shot. I didn't even bother to hesitate, letting the silver back gorillas pick Jace up and begin to carry him with them. Caesar would take care of him, I knew it.

I walked over to Mia and hugged her before kissing her head. I grabbed Holly's hand and began to follow the apes. Caesar waited for me to catch up and began walking beside us. All of us were silent on the way to the camp, my thoughts repeatedly going back to Jace. He'd been taken back already, the apes wanting to get him treated immediately to stop it from getting any worse. I walked quickly, but didn't run ahead because that meant leaving Holly and Mia behind. I couldn't do that.