Chapter Eight

"A friend?", I questioned, an eyebrow raised and my arms crossed.

Dad squirmed where he sat under my gaze. He looked uncomfortable, to say the least.

"Yeah...a friend. The one who's a vet", he expanded, nodding his head in an effort to make me agree with him.

"But you don't have any friends, Dad", I mumbled, faking confusion as I mocked him.

"All right, cheeky", Dad chuckled, leaning forward to drag me towards him and to hug me.

"I promise it'll be good. She's nice!", he reasoned with me.

I sighed in defeat.

"Fine. She can come over if she really needs to", I mumbled, leaning my head on Dad's shoulder.

"Thanks, Ivy. You're amazing", he said, kissing my head before standing up and leaving my room.

So basically, long story short, my Dad's bringing his friend over to our house. Obviously, I would have no problem with him bringing friends home, except this friend happens to be a...how do I say this...a girl.

You heard me.

My dad's bringing a girl home.

You see the thing is, even though I'm only 10 I know what happens between a girl and a boy and that's what I'm scared of.

I don't want a mum.

Call me selfish or whatever, but I like being the only girl in my Dad's life. He's had a girlfriend once before, a few years ago, and let me tell you that she was a complete female dog.

God knows even my Dad doesn't want a repeat of what I did with her.

Some would even say I was the real animal in this house, not Caesar.

I walked into the kitchen to see Caesar eating away at the biscuits.

"Ey! Give me one, Caesar", I shouted, plonking myself on the kitchen counter.

A chocolate digestive flew my way and I caught it with my fast reflexes before taking a bite.

"Roof?", Caesar signed.

"Sure", I signed back, holding my arms and legs out for him to give me a piggyback.

Don't get me wrong, I was perfectly capable of getting myself up there, but who turns down a piggyback ride, am I right?

I didn't get a chance to properly swallow my biscuit before Caesar made a mad dash for the stairs.

I laughed loud, choking on my biscuit but laughing nonetheless.

We hung out of my bedroom window, scaling up the walls using the drain pipes. My heart skipped a beat when Caesar's hand slipped a bit. I laughed, loving the thrill I was getting.

We weren't allowed to do this if you were wondering. This is mine and Caesar's secret.

"Thanks, ape", I smiled, jumping off of him and sitting on the flat part of our roof.

"You're welcome, human", he signed back, chuckling back.

Over the next half hour, me and Caesar just chilled. We played the cars game, and then we made fun of people walking past.

And then we threw apples at them from the tree next to us, laughing and hiding when they looked.

A car pulled up in front of our house. I leaned forward slightly to get a better look at who it was. I didn't get to see as I saw a familiar figure jogging towards the car, opening the car door.