Chapter Nine

For anyone who might be a little confused, the story skipped to 5 years ahead at the end of chapter 8.

**Ivy is 13 years old**

* * *

<RECAP>

"-a race", I said to him, signing at the same time.

He chuckled at me, shaking his head. He leant against the trunk of the tree to relieve his hands to sign.

"What's the point, Ivy? We've been coming here for what, 5 years now? You always win!", he replied, throwing his hands in the air at the end.

"Awww, you getting old, Caesar?", I teased him with a baby voice. I laughed at his sulking face as he crossed his arms in a fake tantrum.

"Okay. Let's do this. Just me and you, you big ape", I chuckled, getting in my stance, preparing to race.

"I'm ready to win."

<>

"You're...getting...better at this!", I gasped out through my heavy breaths. I leaned against the tree trunk as I sat on one of the tree branches.

We'd just had another race, and Caesar was almost beating me. Almost.

"I'll beat you one day, Ivy", he signed, grinning through his own heavy breaths.

I looked down, only just realising how high we were. I laughed, loving the thrill I got out of danger. It was a pretty indescribable feeling.

I glanced at my brother, unable to help myself from snickering when I looked at him.

"What's so funny?", he signed in annoyance. That only set me off into giggles.

I tried to calm my laughing but only managed to control myself long enough to mutter out two sentences.

"Oh nothing. Just laughing at how Dad dresses you like Grandpa", I said, bursting into laughter.

The blank look he gave me only made it worse. Once I'd started laughing, it was impossible to stop me.

I was in fits.

After a few more minutes of healthy banter, we began making our way to the ground as we realised our day was coming to an end. The sun was setting and the air had become considerably cooler than before. I laughed to myself on our way down, not being able to help myself every time I caught Caesar's eye.

Dad would bring me and Caesar to the redwoods every weekend now. Sometimes even Grandpa would tag along. Life was picture perfect at the moment. Unless of course you counted the little smudge in that picture.

Caroline.

There she sat next to my Dad, acting like she was part of our family. It really pissed me off to see Dad and Caroline still together, let alone on top of each other as they...kissed.

I shuddered in disgust.

Dad gave me a pointed look. I rolled my eyes at him, not giving two shits about the fact that Dad had already given me countless lectures about being nice to her.

Upon seeing my eyes roll, he opened his mouth to tell me off but was interrupted by Caesar.

I chuckled to myself. Impeccable timing as always, Caesar.