"Long Story Short"

"Basically, we are freak experiments."

Maki replied solemnly, setting the bundle of sticks she had collected onto the forest floor.

"How?"

Honoka questioned, seating herself down on the nearest log, checking carefully for any stray insect.

"We don't even know the full stories ourselves."

"Then at least tell us what you already know, nya."

Rin muttered, sitting beside Honoka, with Hanayo on her lap.

"...and why...Umi-chan..." The chestnut brown-haired girl shot a worried glance in Kotori's and Umi's direction, "murdered...someone."

Maki sighed, and the moonlight burst through the forest canopy, casting silver light upon her figure.

"I...have to be careful about what I say out here. I--We, will never know when someone's watching."

The trio shot her questioning looks.

"I'm not joking,"

Maki muttered, blowing softly onto her outstretched palm, directing it to the bundle of sticks before her.

As if on cue, flames burst from the wood, flickering in the small breeze.

The trio had a rough shock, and could only stare oddly at the redhead.

"We'll have to get moving. We can't stay in one place. Once Umi recovers, we'll be going."

The redhead turned her back on them and headed to Umi's side.

Kotori looked up at her, her golden eyes now void of tears.

"How's she doing?" Maki knelt down beside her, putting a hand over the bluenette's forehead.

"She's been muttering my name in her sleep for a while now." Kotori replied, and watched as Umi shrank away from the cold touch of Maki's hand.

Maki stood up slowly, and nodded, a look of thought on her face.

"Is there something wrong?" The grey-haired girl questioned, shifting Umi's head into a more comfortable position on her lap.

"No...not really. I was just wondering how to get you all food to eat."

Kotori gave her a small smile.

"I don't think that'll be very important right now, Maki-chan."

"Of course it is, we might be here for a few days, until I can find a way to avoid them."

"Avoid who?"

"They are not important to you, yet, at least."

Kotori didn't reply, confusion still lingering on her features.

"I will try to remember how Umi fishes. Probably that'll help." Maki muttered, more to herself than anyone else.