Reconcile

“See, I was once human, like you. Then, the souls of genetically modified wolves were fused with our own.” Kori whirled around on her paws, wandering around aimlessly. “We had powers, but that was not the point.”

“The Man and The Guy are trying to experiment with death. Those wolves’s souls aren’t enough to beat death. So, they decided to try it out on us instead. It didn’t work. They tried to kill us and succeeded, which was not supposed to happen, according to their tests.”

The white wolf closed its eyes painfully, recalling those dreaded memories of hers.

“So, they decided to try it again. They killed all of us. Then, they fused our souls, with yours. That’s why they figured that they needed to use you and put you through dangerous, life-risking tasks.” She opened her eyes again. “But now that you have escaped, they are intent on killing you so that news of this cannot spread.”

Eli’s baby blue eyes widened and narrowed. “All of this was just because they wanted to conquer death?!”

“Yes.”

“All your lives, our lives, were taken away because of their selfish desires?!”

“Yes.” Sorrow was clear in the werewolf’s tone as she sat on her haunches.

“I’m going to kill them.” Eli swore, her entire body quivering with anger. “You don’t deserve this. We don’t deserve this.”

Kori watched her quietly, an unknown emotion sparking in her gaze. “I will cannot remain with you. As long as I’m here, you cannot return.”

“I understand that.” The blonde spoke, looking at the wolf.

“I believe that you know what you must do.” The wolf continued, her fur starting to burn a blinding white.

Covering her eyes from the light, Eli nodded.

“Good. Then,” The light burned brighter, consuming Eli’s figure in white flame. “Please tell Yuutsun that I forgive him. It wasn’t his fault. I understand why he had to kill me again.”

“And also, that I love him.”

XXXXX

Eli awoke, gasping, her hands grappling for anything within their reach.

“Elichi?” A voice that she had dearly missed spoke from her side, causing her to cry out in delight and wrap her arms around Nozomi.

“Nozomi!” Eli choked out, running her fingers anxiously through her girlfriend’s purple hair. “You’re...okay!”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” The spiritualist smiled, relieved, patting the blonde’s back with her free hand. “I should be saying that to you.”

“You’re awake.” Yuutsu spoke, uncrossing his legs from where he sat on a swivel stool.

“Yuutsu.” Eli acknowledged him, breaking eye contact after a while.