Chapter 16

Uthman P.O.V
I didn't leave her side once. I remained by her side, fighting sleep that was begging to come already. Aisha's father brought food and water for the both of us. He tried to tell me that I didn't have to stay. That she would be fine. I refused. I had to stay. It was the least I could do. I felt guilty for what I had done to her, because ultimately, that slap caused this whole mess.

I eventually had to give in to sleep. I laid back in that hard chair and closed my eyes. Sleep would not come. I stayed up all night, making sure she was fine. At about ten at night, someone knocked on the door. I answered it. A man who appeared no older than me with tan skin, brown eyes, dark brown hair, and hipster like glasses stood before me.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. I just have to check in on the patient," he said. I stepped aside to let him in. The doctor, or nurse, strode over to the machines and jotted some stuff down.

"Are you the doctor?" I questioned him.

"No. I'm doing my residency here. The doctor told me to check in on her to see if she's doing better. Any sign of movement?"

"None."

"Okay. We'll have to take care of that. You know, I knew Aisha. She went to my college," the student looked back at me.

"Oh. You know her?"

"Yeah. She helped me out the other day. My car was broken down on the side of the road. She drove all the way to a gas station, filled up a tank, and came back to fill my gas up. Without her help, I would've been stranded. It's just sad to see her like this. She was a friend of mine."

"What's your name?"

"Abdullah."

Abdullah P.O.V
The man, who I knew was Uthman, looked a bit startled. I was confused as to why. I wasn't sure if Aisha told him about me. I didn't think she had to.

"Abdullah, tell me something, what do I do? She's sitting here, and I'm walking. She's near dead, and I'm alive. I feel guilty," Uthman sat down, a look of helplessness on his face.

I was surprised at how he just seemed to be natural around me, "To tell you the truth, I was in the same position you are in now. The only difference was that my parents got no attention."

"My father's dying in the UAE and I can't see him."

"My father died before my eyes. He was shot. Pronounced dead at the scene. My mother was still alive. They brought her to the hospital. I remember sitting on a hard plastic chair, no more than ten years of age. I was waiting. So long. She was pronounced dead later. I know how you feel. Aisha will survive. She's tough. I know she'll live," I answered him. I could see the emptiness in his eyes when he glanced over at Aisha. He must've done something to feel this guilty as he said he did.

"I slapped her. She ran out of the house. She was distracted. Afraid. Another car rammed into her at such a high speed. The car flipped over several times. She practically broke every bone in her body. How will she heal from this?" Uthman took her hand in his.

"Why'd you slap her?"

"I don't even know," he muttered. I didn't know what to say. I could see immense guilt and regret in his eyes. I was sure that he didn't mean it. I wasn't angry at him. I was saddened he did it though.

"I see. You're afraid you won't be forgiven, aren't you?"

"Of course I am. I'm afraid I'll lose her. She's my wife. She's the world to me. She means everything to me. Without her... I don't know what I'd do," Uthman's bottom lip quivered, his eyes were glassy with tears, and his hands were shaking.