Chapter 17

Uthman P.O.V
I woke up before the sun rose, so I prayed fajr. I made duaa during sujood, making sure to mention Aisha and my father several times. I sat back next to her bedside. Nothing was going to make me happy. The only thing that would actually fill me with joy was to see Aisha's eyes again. I wanted to hear her laugh, to see her smile. I sat back in the hard plastic chair. Aisha's father was getting coffee, I had no energy to do so. I stood up and paced around the room, my head pounding with a massive migraine. I downed some Advil, but it seemed as though that wouldn't work.

I stood in front of the window and watched the cars zooming past on the roads. Ambulances came in and out of the hospital. I heard my phone buzzing so I picked up.

"Salam, Uthman," my father said.

"Hala Baba," I replied.

"Any news?"

"No."

"Well, I just wanted to say something to you. Uthman, they're going to put me through surgery. This surgery can either save my life, or end it. I want you to promise me, promise me, that if I pass away, you will not be broken. You have to be there for Aisha, got it? If I live, good.  Allah will decide the outcome. Promise me you'll always be there for her."

"I promise, Baba. I'm sorry I couldn't have seen you earlier," I felt my voice break. I took in a shaky breath, "I'm really sorry."

"Don't apologize, Uthman. You've done the best you can. I'm so proud of what you've accomplished in life. So proud," my father laughed light heartedly.

"Thank you, Baba. If you make it out alive, I'll try my best to visit you soon. I still have to wait for Aisha to wake up," I replied.

"Don't rush yourself. She needs you now. When she's fully recovered, come. Before she's one hundred percent like usual, stay in California," my father responded. He was very serious about it.

We both hung up. I set my phone down on the counter of the window and stared as I noted that rain was pouring down from the sky. The sound of the drops slamming into the window intrigued me. I knew that rain in Islam meant good things, khair. I looked back at Aisha, and by some miracle, I saw her stir. I felt a huge smile spread on my face. Had Allah listened to my duaa?! I was beyond excited at the moment. Although it was a small movement, it gave me hope. More hope than anybody could imagine.

I opened the door and saw Abu Aisha with Um Aisha. They were talking quietly to each other. Um Aisha still looked pale.

"Khair Inshallah?" Abu Aisha asked as he noted how excited I was.

"Aisha just moved! I know it's not much, but it's improvement!" I beamed.

Um Aisha rushed in to the room. Aisha moved again. I kept making duaa. Abu Aisha was as well. The joy that rose in the room at that was amazing. I looked out the window. It was still raining. I was beyond glad at the moment. Allah didn't forget me. I had forgotten Him for so long, but He still remembered me when I came back to Him after so many long years.

Abdullah P.O.V
Life offered chances. I knew that. When my parents were killed, I had the option to give up at life and just let fate take care of me. I had the option to forget Islam and blame everything on Allah for taking them. Then again, my other option was to become stronger in my faith, to have sabr, or patience. I think Allah has granted me Sabr already.

Some days, I admit, I feel bored of having commitments to religion, but I remember that without Islam, the person I was today would be nonexistent.

I knew Uthman was lost, and that was okay. I knew that he was slowly making his way back, and that was okay. It surprised me to think that Aisha's accident actually brought him closer to his religion. I was sure that as long as he had faith, he had hope. I remember when I was still young, living with my foster parents. They kept trying to break me away from Islam, ruin my perception of it. They never succeeded.

After my experience in the foster homes, I felt a stronger connection to Islam. A woman once went on a racist rant, even insulted my religion and everything about the fact that I was Arab. Instead of getting mad at her, I sat down and explained her misconceptions about Islam. She was so surprised at how kind I was, but I learned better than to fight fire with fire.

A few days later, I saw her in my masjid. She became a Muslim. How amazing that feeling was, knowing that someone had become a Muslim because of my actions. She spoke personally to me that day, thanking me for opening up her eyes.

Some people claimed I had a gift. I just knew what kindness was.

That's all.

Uthman P.O.V
I could not stop pacing back and forth around the hospital room. Aisha occasionally stirred, but she wasn't fully moving yet. I was so frustrated. I just wanted her to live again. To smile again. To be herself again.

Every waking moment of the day, I blamed myself for what happened to her. In my dreams, voices taunted me, saying that I was responsible for what happened. I could've indirectly killed her, they told me. I felt like I was going insane every day. Insane because I knew that I was practically responsible.

I could not accept myself as a good person anymore. I felt as though I was the worst person ever. It was my fault I came home drunk, it was my fault for slapping her, it was pretty much my fault for her accident. If she had been in a more stable position, that accident could have been avoided.

Nothing anybody could say would be able to help fix the mess that I had created. I should've listened to her, listened to her every time she pleaded with me to stop drinking and stop skipping prayers. I should've listened to her when she gave me advice. I was the one at fault.

I looked at the white bedsheets. They reminded me so much of what could've happened to her. I rubbed my temples in an effort to alleviate the ever growing headache I was experiencing. I had run out of Advil, and I refused to leave the hospital. I couldn't. I had to stay by her side.

Hello!! Salam alaykoum!!!

I know I'm a bit late in updating, but Ramadan has been very busying for me. I'll try to update as often as I can though!

Inshallah you're all enjoying this story! It will probably be over soon, but that doesn't mean I'm done writing, of course!

I appreciate every single one of your reads! Thank you all so much for taking your time to read this!

Salam for now!