Reaper's March

Inches before Castias could bite into Tangurple's face, he was forced to the ground with a loud thunk. A large claymore stuck out of his back. "Give Richer our regards," he said with hostility, jerking the blade. The Naga went limp and closed his eyes. He then cracked and exploded into snow-white pixels which vanished into the air moments later.

A game-wide announcement echoed across the cavern and out into the world. "Attention denizens of Empora" the voice was male and spoke with a tone of authority. "Castias, the Eternal Warden Naga has been vanquished. The path between the zones of Empora and Reaper's March has been opened. Castias was slain by the following players:

"Tangurple, Juggernaut rank 12, Falcher, Knight rank 11, and Mia Strantenford, Assassin rank 23. There were no deaths during this battle. Video Replays are now available at the Eighth Sea Tavern in the Town of Initiates." The voice then faded out into the distance along with the faint echoes of a false crowd of cheering fans.

The cave-in that trapped the three in the dungeon, gave way and opened the pathway. On the other side of the crumbling barrier was a small group of knights and juggernauts. They bore the guild tabard of the Guardians of the Collapsed. The small raid party flooded into the room shouting and cheering gathering around the victors.

"How?! How did you survive?"

"Where did you learn to fight like that?"

"OFFICER ON DECK!" A soldier from the back-projected his voice which silenced the rest.

A tall gaunt figure walked forward dressed in the showboat uniform of the guild. He bowed before the victors and grinned. "Champions of Empora, survivors of Castias's wrath, I am Gustav, Captain of this regiment. It would seem as though a regiment was not needed to win this battle. We watched the whole fight from the other side of the barrier and I must say, for as disorderly as it was, it was effective."

Falcher pulled Tangurple to his feet. Falcher dusted himself off and turned to Gustav. "Spit it out"

Gustav gestured to the three of them. "I offer positions within the guild's ranks for all three of you"

"What makes you think we're interested in joining?"

"We always need extra fighters for the front lines and considering your skills, we could really use some combat instructors"

"We need some time to think about this-"

"I'm in" Tangurple interjected.

"Tang..." Falcher growled, grabbing Tangurple's armor. He brought him to the back end of the cave. "I do not trust these people."

"And...?"

"We shouldn't join them."

"What for? They've probably got gear that we can use"

"That's not the real GotC."

"What do you mean?"

"When GotC goes out to do raids, they'll bring two captains, a general and a council representative."

"Why?"

"It's just how they function. That group there isn't the Guardians. They are either Poison Oath or some mockup"

"I grow weary of your chatter. What will it be?" Gustav had a nervous and impatient look about him.

Mia stood in the middle of the cave watching Gustav closely. "Well, boys?" She turned to face them. "We in or out?"

"Mia! Run!" Tangurple shouted.

She quickly looked at Gustav who was bug-eyed for a moment. She bolted towards the back end of the room and ran with the other two.