Chapter 4.1 | A Dizzy Mind

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

I wake up to the shrill ring of Beyoncé pouring her heart out into to my oversensitive ear. Reminding myself to change my alarm tone the first chance I get, I allow myself another small nap. My head hurt like someone had hammered nails all over it.

"Ambrosia! Wake up! Your flight's in an hour!" I hear Neave shrieking from downstairs a few seconds later. I glance at my clock.

7:30 a.m.

"OHMYGODOHMYGOD!" I shriek and jump out of my bed, dash into my bathroom, squeeze out the toothpaste onto my brush and plunge it into my mouth. I don't even feel the dizziness that I knew was lurking for an opportunity to resurface.

A few minutes later, I'm once again a clean and presentable woman, but with huge bags under my eyes. Taking a huge breath, I walk downstairs with my luggage, stumbling with every step.

Mr Cadwallader starts barking when he catches sight of me and I go down on my knees to pet him. He gives me a gigantic lick and I laugh, rubbing his belly until he's on his back on the floor, howling.

"I'll miss you so much, my man." I purr, giving him a sloppy kiss on the forehead. He barks once, looking at me with his melted chocolate eyes. I feel my eyes water.

I get up before I could cry and slump on the dining table.

"Eat." Neave orders and I comply. The bacon and eggs are gone within seconds.

"Where's mother?" I ask, chugging on my OJ. The dizziness dulls for a while, but it still feels like a swarm of bees have made it their home.

"She had an emergency at the hospital. I'll be joining her soon." She says, absentminded.

I nod. My mother and sister had been born to become doctors, it was almost evident in their dark eyes and hair. I was almost identical to my father. With the light blonde hair and pale blue eyes with swirls of grey and a generous body, I looked nothing like my hour glass bodied mother.

They caught the attention of the crowd the moment they made an appearance, I wouldn't catch the attention of the people even if I sang 'Staying alive' at the top of my voice.

And believe me, I've tried.

"Are you okay, Am?" My attention snaps back to her.

"Yeah." I say sheepishly.

"Are you nervous about New York?"

"Maybe a little, yeah." I admit.

"But you've always dreamt of this! Imagine having a new life, a new start." She encourages.

"I know. It's overwhelming."

"Just go, Am. Live it all."

"I will, Nene. I'll miss you." I say genuinely.

"Me too. But we'll see each other soon. At my wedding." A small smile creeps up her lips.

"Why are you smiling all of a sudden?" I ask.

"I'll be having my wedding in New York, Am! Mother gave us her permission!" She gushes all of a sudden. My nervousness turns into erratic fear. I knew why she was doing this.

'No escape.' I can almost hear her sneering at me. And there goes my plan of calling in sick.

"Are you serious?"

"Oh my God, are you happy?"

"I'm delirious with joy!" I say in a pained voice, and she gives me a huge hug.