Chapter 45 | It's a Fine, Fine Day

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

I went back into the house teary eyed and pouting, which made my mother's smirk grow even wider. Neave and Freida threw me concerned looks, but I gave them discreet winks to let them know that everything was fine.

The party continued unperturbed and I tried my best to keep my over-excited, giggly self under control. But since I was very bad at acting, everyone soon realised that something was fishy.

"Everything alright, Ambrosia?" Paul, Neave's fiancè, asked. He was one of those tall, lanky doctors that everyone above the age of thirty lusted after, with his messy blonde hair and blue eyes. I could see in an instant why Neave fell in love with him.

"All good, Paul. A little jittery." I say, smiling.

"Really? Do you think I can help?" He asks earnestly, his huge puppy eyes shining.

Oh my God stay away from me.

"I'm fine, Paul. I'm okay," I say.

"Are you sure? Are you suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? Did something happen to you recently?" He asks, his thumb pressing lightly on my wrist, checking my pulse.

"What? No!" I protest, pulling my hand away.

"How much coffee do you drink regularly? Did you overdose?" He asks, peering into my eyes.

"No, Pa--" I begin to say.

"Is it your menopause?"

"WHAT?!" I shriek.

"Paul, honey, why don't we head back to the hotel? It's late." Neave materializes out of thin air and says, running a soothing hand down Paul's arm.

"Sure, babe." Paul says, smiling widely down at her.

Creep.

"Hey, Ambrosia. I almost forgot to tell you, it's my first dress fitting tomorrow. You can try on your bridesmaid dress too!" Neave says excitedly.

"I can't go. I'm busy tomorrow," I say.

"Tomorrow's a holiday." Neave says.

"Exactly."

"Look here," she says, a steely glint in her eyes. "This can go either way, and both of them end up with you in a bridesmaid's dress at Charlotte's, 42 Avenue Street at eight a.m tomorrow. Good night."

She walks out of the door with Paul tailing behind her. My mother follows them, since they were staying in the same hotel, but not before giving me a self righteous smirk. I want to smirk back at her but I didn't want to spoil my surprise by being stupid, so I settle for a glare.

After everyone's gone, I plop on the couch and sigh. Being in human company for too long is tiring. Thankfully, Mr Cadwallader is allowed to stay with me, much to the horror of Freida.

"Get some sleep. And take that dog with you, please. I need to clean up this mess." Freida says, picking up a stray can of beer.

"I could help," I begin to say, but stop when I catch the hopeful look in Freida's eyes. "But never mind." She glares at me. I give her a 'this was your idea, now suffer' smile.

"Come on, Mr Cadwallader." I say, walking up the stairs to my room. I change into my pajamas and jump into my bed with Mr Cadwallader curling up against my feet. I feel utter happiness bubbling up in my chest and sigh.

"It was a fine, fine day, Mr Cadwallader."

~•~

The next morning, it's doesn't look as fine. I wake up with a jerk, squinting against the bright sunlight pouring through the window. Mr Cadwallader is snoozing at the foot of my bed and my phone is vibrating menacingly on the bedside table.