Chapter 16 | Beam at Me

Calum Achorn didn't ask for me again the whole day. Kailley told me that it was normal for him to do so, since he got so engrossed in his work that he seldom felt the time passing.

On my first day, I learnt a lot of things about my boss. Calum Achorn was the author of two best selling novels, and being the son of America's top publisher, had his fame handed to him in a silver platter. He had been sent to Britain's best private school, grooming him into a gentleman that I saw no sign of in the morning.

I didn't understand the immense dislike I had towards the man I was going to work, hopefully, for a long time. I'd always considered myself to be kind, and I never jumped to conclusions. Especially about people. But Calum Achorn seemed to bring out the worst in me.

Kailley took me to one of the small cafés next to the office during lunch.

Kailley told me that she'd been working in the House for five years. I could see how passionate she was about her work. And she also was extremely beautiful. Dark skin that shone slightly, frizzy hair held carefully in a bun and a tight white shirt, and she had every man in the café staring.

I walked next to her with my shoulders slumped. The hairstyle Freida had so carefully assembled was windblown and destroyed, making me look like a crazy ostrich. Do I need to say it? No one threw me a glance.

Which was a good thing, isn't it? Being someone who blended into the background?

Kailley ordered a Caesar salad while I wanted a hamburger with extra cheese, a bag of fries and a can of coke. Kailley gave me the look, the same one that my mother and sister gave me when I ordered something that I shouldn't have. They usually ordered salads, with more greens and less mayonnaise, and I had to hold back my urge to hurl whenever I saw them eating that vile stuff. And I actually did once, when they tried to make me eat it.

With the food in our hands, we make our way to a table. The café was mostly quiet and we joined in the silence and Kailley ate her food. I inhaled it.

"Look, if it isn't unfortunate PA and stuck up Miss Perfect."

"What do you want, Lent?" Kailley asks, rolling her eyes.

"Call me Ambrosia, please." I sigh.

"I couldn't just leave two beautiful ladies on their own now, could I?" Lent all but screams, spreading his arms wide.

I snort loudly. Who is he calling beautiful?

"Leave us on our own, please." Kailley pleads.

"Come on! What if someone makes a move on you two?" He whines.

I snort loudly. Yeah, that's likely.

"Just like you are right now?" She snaps back.

"Well, I can't help myself if I see two pretty ladies just sitting there, waiting to be teased."

I snort loudly. A toad's prettier than me.

"That's not ladylike, Ambrosia." Lent admonishes.

"Never claimed to be one." I throw back, garfing down my burger. He gives me a disgusted look and then turns back to Kailley.

"So, Kailley. How's your day been so far?"

"Great. Until now."

"Oh come on, she can't be that boring." He says, pointing at me.

"I wasn't talking about her, jerkface." She says angrily, throwing an olive at him. He catches it with his mouth, chewing it as he walks away. I give his back a look of disbelief.