Chapter 12.2 | Bare Feet, Lost Shoes

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

"Look at that view!" I shrieked.

"Imagine how it must look like while it's night!" Benjamin shrieked.

"I can't believe this is where I'm going to live now!" The Asian woman shrieked.

"Congratulations." The Asian man shrieked.

"Shut up." The Asian woman shrieked.

"To you too!" I shrieked at them.

"We're about to land!" The elderly woman shrieked.

"Oh my God my ears are popping." I shrieked.

"Stop being a baby!" Benjamin giggled.

"Why did you giggle?" I groaned in exasperation.

"I did?" He asks, mortified. He also checked his pulse for good measure.

We had been shrieking for about twenty minutes now. The other people are giving us dirty looks, but after living under my mother's roof for twenty two years, there was nothing that could faze me. The air hostess was almost on the verge of tears, and the elderly man, whose name is Patrick, had the good grace to hand her a tissue and give her a small pat of assurance on the back.

We were very close to my freedom. So close, that I could taste, no, feel it. Now the only thing left when I get there was to find myself a man. So easy, right?

Not.

But I wouldn't let that dampen my spirit. I had four months left before I actually had to worry about the wedding, and I was almost certain that I could live all of my life in the span of these few months.

"I'm finally free!" I shrieked as I walked out of the plane, my bags in one hand and the bottle of Sunset Rum on the other.

What? It was good.

"Ambrosia, stop before your fall face first on the ground." Benjamin warns.

"That would be such an adventure!"

"Did her mother drop her a lot when she was a kid?" Patrick whispered loud enough for all of us to hear.

"I don't think so. But I'll make sure to ask her when I meet her."

"You take care of yourself, okay? Eat, don't be like those skimpy models my son likes to ogle at. Men like women with meat on their bones" The elderly woman, Reggie adviced me, hugging me with her frail arms. I smile at her.

"You shouldn't try to change yourself for men. Be as you are. They will come running after you when their zero figured girlfriend ditches them, just like my man here." The Asian woman says, giving me a friendly squeeze. Her husband shakes his head at me from behind her. I crack a smile.

"You don't let that man go, Darlin'. Remember what I said, and you'll be making small blue eyed, black haired kids in no time." Patrick says, cackling. Benjamin and I blush. They insisted that we were together even though we'd told them we weren't a thousand times.

"Okay, we have to leave. Let's go, Ambrosia." Benjamin urges, pushing me forward. I wave at the people I'd befriended in such a short time, smiling to myself how this long flight could gave me so much to remember. Then I look at Benjamin. He looks up and catches me staring at him.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"I'm contemplating whether this would be the perfect time to say goodbye." I admit, looking into his beautiful green eyes.

"Would it?"

"Yeah, why push it when we know it's going to be over soon?"

"It's goodbye then, Miss Bellemore." He says, giving me a mock salute.