Chapter 47 | Attack on The Cobra

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

Calum didn't pick up my calls again. Nor did he respond to any of my texts. After staring into my phone screen for thirty minutes, I gave up and drove back home.

Halfway in, my phone starts ringing, flashing his name.

"Oh my Greek Gods, Calum! Why the Hell weren't you picking up?" I holler.

"Helleo?" A strongly suspicious voice with a heavy French accent slurs from the other side.

"Uh, excuse me, but who the hell are you?" I ask, irritated. The last thing I wanted right now was some sultry, stupid woman to ruin my already ruined day.

"I'm cookiedookiegum! Who are you?" She says with an idiotic laugh. I cringe.

"I'm Ambrosia. Is Calum there?" I ask.

"Oh yes, he is here alright!" She says, laughing that high, shrill laugh again.

"Can you please pass the phone to him?" I ask, gritting my teeth.

"No can do, pauper. He's spending some time alone with moi," she says.

"Freida, you're dead," I say with my teeth clenched and hang up the call.

Driving like death was on my tail, I made it home in record time. The front door was open. Sensing a prank war, I pass my hand through the door first, checking for booby traps or goddamn laser beams to blast me off my feat. My fingers find resistance.

Ha! Transparent seran wrap.

How lame.

Tearing down the thin layer of plastic, I walk inside slowly. There was an out of place mousetrap in the middle of the floor, probably hoping I'd step on it. And I was half tempted to do it, because I felt sorry for that little, lonely mousetrap.

Freida has been watching a lot of YouTube.

I walked into the kitchen, ignoring the two little heads popping out from behind the sofa, to get some food. There was a single caramel apple, a donut and an oreo cookie placed on a white plate on the kitchen counter. Shaking my head at Freida's worsening pranking abilities, I stand in front of the plate so as to give them the proper reaction.

"Ah, donut!" I say, picking up the donut and bringing it close to my mouth. The strong odour of it indicates it has been piped with sriracha sauce. I sigh.

"Too bad I already ate," I sigh and put it back on the plate.

"But there's always time for desert!" An enthusiastic voice suggests from behind the couch before someone clamps their mouth shut.

"Aha, intelligent conscience," I say, picking up the caramel apple, or from the smell emanating from the cursed object, caramel onion.

"I'll save it for Calum. He loves them," I say.

"No, he doesn't! Eat them!" A familiar, masculine voice says. I try to suppress my urge to grin.

"I'll keep this one for you and eat the one Freida made for herself as an award," I say, eyeing the couch accusingly.

Two figures rose up awkwardly from behind, looking so defeated and morose that I almost awwed.

"You didn't fall for it!" Freida says, her lower lip jutting out.

"You don't outsmart the cobra, sheep."

"I thought the seran wrap was going to work!" Calum says, punching the air with irritation.

"Not for the cobra, Koala." I grin. He glares at me.

"I'm your boss!"

"And a koala!"

"I also happen to be your boyfriend!"

That shut me up. He grins wryly.

"And you've been pranking me too!" He accuses.

"What? No!"

"What about that phone call this morning?" He asks, inching towards the kitchen

"I made no phone call this morning," I say, rooted where I was.

"I'll just leave," Freida says, before slipping out of the room.

"Then who, with your voice and with your number, shouted 'I'm on my way!' at six in the morning?" He asks, taking a few steps forward.

Realization dawned on me.

"That was you, not Neave." I say, taking a few steps forward.

"What?" He asks, standing where he was.

"I thought it was Neave calling, not you." I say, smiling up at him.

He doesn't say anything.

"Why were you calling me at six in the morning?" I ask, in a slightly accusing voice.

He keeps silent.

"Did you want to hear my voice?" I ask, now smiling.

"No, why would I do that? Your voice sounds like a frog choked on a piece of lego." He says, pouting.

Which is kind of true.

"Okay, then why did you call?"

"Iwantedtoaskyououtonadate." He mumbles.

"What was that?"

He takes a breathe and looks into my eyes, his green eyes mesmerizing and cool. We're both nervous, gauging each other's reaction.

"Will you go out on a date with me?" He asks, finally.

"Sure," I say, Shrugging. But inside, my insides were melting and freezing at the same time.

"Okay then," He says, shrugging back.

"Clean this all up now," I say, gesturing at the mess around us.

"I'm your boss!" He says indignantly.

"Also my boyfriend!" I say, walking up the stairs to my room, wondering what dress I could wear for my first date with Calum Achorn.

~•~

Short chapter because it's sort of a 'filler'.

Did you think it was nice that Ambrosia didn't fall for their pranks? Or would you have liked it if she'd have fallen for them?

Also, I'll be writing a book called 'Delilah, Fly With Me' (rewriting actually) soon. The foreward has been posted and if you're keen on that fantasy romance thingy, do check it out, would mean a lot to me.

Ciao amigos!

*not edited*