Chapter 28 | What Would You Call Something that's Brown and Sticky?

[Ambrosia Bellemore]

It was finally Sunday and I was twitching anxiously on the couch, waiting for the honk that would let me know that Calum Achorn was here to take me on his errand.

I'd asked around to know what this secret mission was, but no one seemed to know anything about it. Apparently, Calum Achorn had never asked anyone to accompany him anywhere. In fact, he never even acknowledged anyone unless it was to give them some work, or to fire them.

What a grouchy young man.

So, here I was, completely unaware of where my boss was going to take me on this special errand of his. He could be taking me to cut me into tiny, bite size pieces for all I knew.

When the honk finally sounded outside, I'd made a bloody mess of my nailbeds and my skirt was wrinkled from all the pressure I was putting on them.

I jumped out of my couch and rushed to the window. Peeking out from behind the curtains, I caught sight of a beautiful black Porsche in front of my house and an elegant Calum Achorn leaning slightly against the hood of the car. He was dressed casually, just like I was, in a light blue polo shirt and black shorts.

Holy mosses, he looks riddikulusly delicious.

And then a second later, the embarrassment from what I'd just thought hit me.

Oh, God. No! Stop this nuisance before I stuff your whole sinful brain with Ranch dressing!

I look down at the oversized white shirt I'd stolen from Patrick (What?) and the khaki skirt and wince internally. It's not like I didn't make an effort to dress up, I did, but I still looked like I usually did.

I looked back up at Calum Achorn and noticed how he looked like a Greek God without even trying, I bet Lent wouldn't look this good even in swimming shorts.

Maybe Calum Achorn was just confident, so confident and sure of himself that he could wear an unicorn onesie and not look even an ounce self-conscious.

I took a deep breath and squared my shoulders. I could look beautiful even in Patrick's over large shirt. At least I'd my favourite black pumps on, they made me look good.

I walked out of my front door with my shoulders squared firmly, my head high, the way my mother had taught me. Calum Achorn's eyes fell on me the second I was out of my door, and his eyebrows rose in amusement.

Does he think I look good?

"I thought I'll get to see something good after waiting fifteen minutes for a woman, but this is what I get." He retorts as soon as I'm within hearing distance. I scowl at him, and the tiny smirk grows even more pronounced.

He turns around to open the passenger side door and I stick my tongue at him and make fake retching faces.

"Miss Bellemore, I should let you know that my phone's camera is recording every priceless expression that you're making right now."

I freeze in the middle of my famous puking face, and I try to see the look on his face to figure out if he's telling the truth. And lo behold, in the back pocket of his shorts, the phone's camera was peeking out.

He's saying the truth, that bastard.

"Get in." He orders, his face lowered. I had a huge suspicion that he was trying to contain his laughter.

I narrow my eyes dangerously at him and get into the car quietly. He walks around the car towards his side of the car, his steps sure and somehow very, very appealing.

I gulp, halting my train of thought. Should I be afraid?

Calum Achorn drives away from the direction of Achorn House, towards the less populated parts of the city. I look out of the window, trying to figure out where he was trying to take me.

"Where are we going?"

"Someplace."

"Well, where is this place?"

"Somewhere."

"How far is it?"

"Not far."

"Will there be other people?"

"More or less." He says with a shrug. I roll my eyes and slump in my seat, but something about this conversation reminded me of something.

Ah. Benjamin on the plane.

I stare out of the window in frustration. Nectar hadn't been able to find anything about him. All she'd been able to know was that Benjamin on the plane had given his name as Chris Augustine, and she was fairly sure that it was a fake name too.

It had narrowed down to two options in the end.

Either he was trying to hide his real identity really hard and didn't want to be found, or he really was Benjamin from High School. I'd made sure that the second option was entirely void, so now I was just stuck on the first option.

But why was he trying to hide his real identity? Why didn't he want to be found?

"Why the face?" Calum Achorn's voice drags me back into the Porsche. I stare at him from the corner of my eye, watch as the muscles in his arms rippled ever so slightly as he steered the car...

Ambrosia, stop!

"Uhmm..I-I, nothing. It's nothing." I stammer, slapping myself multiple times in my head for being so clumsy. Calum Achorm gives me a cool, assessing look and then looks away.

After a few minutes of silence, he suddenly speaks up again,"What would you call something that's brown and sticky?"

"Excuse me?" I ask in confusion.

"I know you heard me." He hisses through his teeth.

"Okay. What?" I ask, exasperated but curious.

He gives me another look, this time his eyes are warm, excited and almost child-like, happy. My heart swells at the sight of them.

"A stick." He says, a wide grin forming on his lips.

He looks at me with such an expectant expression that I crack up, clutching my stomach to contain the strong spasms of laughter and soon enough, he joins me. I stop myself before my stomach could burst open. I look over at Calum Achorn, laughing like he never had before, his eyes closed and the wrinkles around his eyes crinkled, I can't help but giggle softly.

"T-That was so bad." I say, giggling even harder and Calum nods, his face red. I finally make myself stop laughing and take a deep breath, Calum Achorn lets out a small chuckle and we fall into a familiar, peaceful silence.

We drive quietly the rest of the way to God knows where, but I was very much aware of the constant smile on Calum Achorn's face, mirroring exactly the one on mine.

~•~

Such a cute chapter, no? Who knew I had it in me. ;)

 ;)