The Monster of Morningstar

New York

"And the next item is a book from the 16th century," a powerful voice of an older auctioneer in an expensive brand suit sounded through the auction hall. The big screen behind him showed the image of the item for sale - it was an ancient book bound in a leather cover with no title or anything - it seemed like nothing special, but there was one person in the hall who was more than interested.

"It is a diary which presumably belonged to a scientist or alchemist from Europe," the auctioneer continued. "It contains various notes and sketches about herbalism, biology and chemistry, including detailed descriptions of experiments and their outcome. It also contains a part about occultism; for example, it describes the author's attempts to summon various demons.

This authentic grimoire can become a welcome addition to a collection as well as a study material for those interested in renaissance arts and science. The author is mysterious and some passages are yet to be examined. The price starts at ten thousand dollars. Any bids?"

One of the men present on the auction raised his hand and offered thirteen thousand. Right after it, another bidder raised the price to fifteen thousand.

A nervous young man sitting in the back of the room started to sweat. He thought that this was going to be an easy one - he presumed to be the only bidder since he thought that no one else had an use for the book other than putting it on a shelf. But he really needed it. Desperately. "Twenty thousand," he said.

"I have twenty thousand dollars," the auctioneer announced. "Any other offers?"

Three bidders gradually raised the price to fifty thousand dollars.

The young bidder offered sixty thousand, hoping that nobody would be willing to go past fifty. But he was wrong and the price soon became a hundred thousand dollars. After two hundred dollars, all bidders gave up except for two - an old bald man and the young bidder. The old man kept bidding and he gave the young one a few threatening gazes. But his opponent couldn't give up.

"Three hundred dollars!"

"Half a million!"

The young bidder was more and more anxious. Getting the book was his only goal. After the old man raised the bid one more time, he finally snapped and shouted: "One million dollars!"

The old man raised his eyebrows and shook his head as a sign of capitulation. A few moments later, the auctioneer announced: "Sold for a million dollars to the young man from Gabriel's Gardens."

>><<

Morningstar, Gabriel's Gardens

A tall, thin man roamed the Morningstar district. It was already long after the sunset and being outside during such late hours was a serious hazard, but the man didn't mind. He was looking for trouble. Engaging in street brawls was his hobby, the only pleasant thing this God forsaken place offered him.

He picked a fight with everyone he met and a small pistol in his pocket ensured that he always won. He enjoyed both brawling with his gang and alone, especially if the victim was other race than white. The swastika tattooed on his shoulder and his shaved head immediately gave away his opinions about racial equality.

He wandered into the corner which he hadn't visited before. He heard some people saying that something weird was happening here. Duke, that was the man's name, just laughed at the stories. He wasn't scared. He wasn't afraid of anything as long as he had his fists, his gun and some promiles in the bloodstream.